Used 1997 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

MY BABY MISSY
By mustangchelz

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I absolutely LOVE my red '97 mustang! Its more reliable than any car i've had and it gets me everywhere. Im the second owner and had very MINIMAL problems, the biggest thing ive had to get done was the clutch. Ive gotten a new oil pan and fixed a water leak, but after 14 years can you believe thats the only work? I kept up this car from the minute i bought it. I was devastated when i got in an accident in december and totaled the car, but the safety was great and me and my little brother are alive. 210,000 miles the car still ran like a champ, wish i still had it. Thank you Ford!

Interior, nice for a 1997, and great radio. Fun drive especially because its a stick.

Suspension could be a bit more smoother

1997 Ford Mustang V6
By txstanggrl

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have always wanted a mustang as long as I could remember. Of course I live in a Ford only house which is great. After wanting a mustang for so long and searching forever to find one this one feel into my lap( it was ment to be). Although it needed a new head gasket and a new paint job and some minor things done to it I can't complain for the $800 I stanged this car at. I have enjoyed it to the max. Other than some repair I had to do to get it going when I first bought it , I have had no problems so far. It is not only a dream car but a great fun car. The engine runs smooth and has a great get up and go. I can say this much I will five this car until it just falls apart.

All of them

Bigger back seat!

Reliable attractive commuter car
By Zowie

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

Own V6 5spd for 6+ years and drive it daily. I am over 40 and have driven a wide variety of company vehicles. I've only owned GMs and Fords, with models years dating from 1970 to 2003. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only thing that broke (excluding normal maintenance stuff) during the first 120k was the power seat switch. After 120K, I started having lots of problems with the rear. But engine, electronics, AC, interior are still good. In snow: HORRIBLE wheel spin. Gets stuck very easily and can't climb inclines most cars handle with ease. But steering and braking control is ok for this type of car.

I love the shape and proportions. Old school Fords like Mustang, Crown Vic and Econoline have good reliability and affordable repair costs. V6 is a good value used - if it wasn't a rental or abused by a teen. Lots of aftermarket doodads available.

Shifter too far forward for max comfort. Gearing could be a little lower. The one flimsy cup holder is in the way of the gear shift and hand brake. Poor quality leather on seats, but fabric ones are decent quality.

Fun Car
By Vince

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at the beginning of 2008 and I had no problems in the snow. During the following year I drove it as my daily driver in blizzards and snow storms and I didn't get in any accidents. To those afraid of rear wheel drive, just be careful and keep the drifting to impress your friends and your sweetheart at a reasonable speed in the snow and you'll be fine. I drove a year and a half with very little maintenance. I had to replace the power window regulator, but other than that I don't recall any work I had to do other than maintenance until I reached about 140,000 and I found oil in the coolant reservoir(head gasket) so I upgraded to the more dependable, and older 5.0 V8

looks nice, fun to drive(and drift), easy to repair, pretty dependable

It seems like a lot of V6 mustangs from the 94 and on era had a problem with head gaskets at around 140,000 miles. Also tall people wont like the seating and leg room(short people have no problems), not fast at all compared to a pontiac grand prix, and the single inconvenient cup holder.

Great Car Seriously
By chenz380

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got brainwashed by people saying Toyota is reliable vehicles and American cars are junk. I found that to be not true so I went with my dream of getting ether a mustang or a camaro/firebird. This car cost me $2800 and it has 143K miles and runs great compared to my Toyota Celica with 70K miles having gone through 3 engines. Warms up great, runs great even in -20F weather, and contrary to people who can't drive rwd in the snow, it handles fine in the snow unless you like drifting which I LOVE to do! The people who had bad luck just found a lemon and didn't know any better. Like any car, a poorly maintained car won't last long. Get your used cars checked before getting tricked by salesmen.

Reliability, look(sorta) simple/easy to modify interior, cool black interior, easy to work on engine bay, stock all wheel disk brakes (not standard on camaro/firebird base models), fun do drive

stiffer handling would be nice, better seating design for people who are taller than 6'(literally a pain in the neck), short shifter(which was fixed on newer models), more hp PLEASE, and a supercharger option for the V6 (I do believe is a soon to be option as of 2009)