Used 1997 Ford Mustang GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Well worth the money for a first car!
By pat126

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I bought this car several months back with about 87k on it, and I'm already pushing 99k. Other than an issue with the electrical system due to chewed up battery terminals (a $6 fix), it has been one hell of a ride. I checked out camaros and a charger or two while I was searching, but every mustang I sat in just felt more comfortable, and even better I could actually see out of it. After a few bolt-on modifications it can turn some heads. I'm hard-pressed to say that I'll probably have at least a mustang in my garage at all times from now on. You only get one chance at a first car, and this nasty pony did the job!

By far the handling, but the interior seems to fit most drivers just right without the interior being too big. The sound is extremely distinct, as opposed to GM and Chrysler cars which seem to blend together every time I hear one on the road.

Not that anything can be done for it now, but for how this car rides, the engine numbers feel really underpowered compared to what they could be. Oh well, just bolt some mods on and let 'er rip!

great car
By EWILL

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I have loved and owned Mustangs all my life. I have had a 97 and 96 GT convertible. Out of all the cars I have driven these were overall very good automobiles. Yes they are going to have a few problems. They seem to not have very good radiators because they tend to overheat some. Other than that Mustangs have overall been pretty good. Most that have problems with them is because the previous owner has mistreated the car; they are mostly well built cars

Tight compact interior .

Wish they could make a nice fuel efficient v8 that has just as much power cause this baby eats gas!

GT Mustang Conv.
By stillman

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

This is a small car with a big car ride. Plenty of power. Fun to drive. Had a few things go bad; A/C, trans, starter & alternator. Ford replaced trans. Other costs less than a $1,000.

Performs as good as it looks. Plenty of power for me. Tight, good handling automobile.

Need a little more leg room, especially in the back seat.

MY wife's mid life crisis 2
By jlevando

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

My wife wanted to get out of her van and into a sporty little car. we looked at miatas and camaros but the mustang beat them hands down. It's fast and fun to drive. She beat two teeny boppers the first week and they ended up with tickets.

Fun to drive with the top down. (almost as much fun as my shadow ace) V8

More power more leg and head room

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!
By danielle

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

Trust me...Do NOT buy this car. I purchased this car used with 89k. At 100k I had to replace the engine. Two months later, I began having major transmission problems. Buying this vehicle was the WORST financial mistake I have EVER made!!!!! I sent it away to an auction two days ago, so buyers BEWARE!!!!!

I liked the body-style. This was a beautiful car on sunny days.

Different engine, transmission, should I continue?.....