Used 1996 Ford Mustang Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Awesome Car
By MustangMach1

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this Stang in January of 2004 and have had no problems whatsoever. Tires wear fast, but with a car that looks like a Mustang, who cares? I love this car. I put Cobra rims on and have had no extreme tire wear since. Also with the installed Flowmaster dual exhaust it always gets confused for a GT. I would reccomend this car to anyone who likes to drop the hammer once in awhile and hear the exhaust scream.

Favorite Features

Performance is fun. especially with the 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Buy Cobra rims to eliminate tire wear.

Think about it
By Dave Doorwood

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new with 8 miles on it. @ 50 miles the tie-rod broke and it cost me $70.00 for a alignment (non warrenty) now the car has 118,324 miles on it and it has well over $6k in repairs..2 sets of Head-Gaskets, 1 Transmission, $800 in emissions work..Tires last about 40k miles and brakes last about 9k miles. dealership is unable to resolve front end problems and they have had it 6 times.

Favorite Features

Black Interior

Suggested Improvements

recall all the 95-96 3.8L engines for Head Gaskets

The Money Pit
By bluecar

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I was so excited to purchase this vehicle back in 1996. It was so much fun to drive and very comfortable. When the car hit 47,000 miles things went sour. The head gaskets blew and the car was out of commission for 2+ months while waiting for a new engine to replace the damaged lower block. A few months after that, the car was recalled for this problem. Right after that the a/c line broke. I had all the repairs made at the dealer. Then most recently, the engine blew again! I could not believe it. This will make the 3rd engine and it only has 108,000 miles. Based on my experience, this car is THE money pit.

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

under the hood.

Love My Stang
By Lilstang38

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Stang new in 96, only had one problem with it so far. Replaced fuel pump under warranty at 1500 mi. No abnormal wear and tear on any parts. Changed front pads at 108,000 mi. and still had 3/8 in. of lining left, still have a 1/2 in. of lining on the rear. This car has been just awesome all the way around.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great, stereo system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Could have used more horsepower, but I don't have a heavy foot so no big deal there.

Great Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By yasilyn

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had this car almost 2 years, it was purchased for a work vehicle because we got a good deal. I love the great gas mileage and the performance, but again there is the tire issue. But luckily I have had great luck with the engine it has 90,000 and not any problems other than regular matienance. All together I have been greatly suprised by this peppy little machine.

Favorite Features

I love the body style, and the fun you have driving it.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a wider interior space, more comfort for long trips.