Used 1996 Ford Mustang GT Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Decent ride
By joshreisch

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car has always been good to me. I have had only minor problems related to oxygen sensors. Good transportation and the mileage is not too bad, 19-22.

Favorite Features

Quick car that is fun to drive. Good room for driver. I am 6'2" and fit nicely. But with the seat back it cramps anyone behind you in this car.

Suggested Improvements

More power, which you get with newer models.

Pretty nice for its time.
By The Mighty

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Pretty quick, but a little weak for a V-8, but I just did a PI head swap to remedy that. It gets good gas mileage for a V-8. I took a 4 hour trip and only burned a half-tank. With the exception of the stock intake cracking, it's been very reliable. For it's time, the interior is pretty well-done, hence the reason it didn't really change again until the new '05 model. Overall, fun car to drive, and TONS of potential for modding.

Favorite Features

TRUE dual exhaust. Awesome sound. Fun to drive and spin the tires. Interior ergonomics and space for me (I'm 6'2"). Awesome car!

Suggested Improvements

More power (already done). Better stock shifter, but just buy an MGW shifter, and it makes it twice as fun to drive. PLEASE lower these Mustangs more, Ford. They look like 4x4's from the factory. Also, the wimpy 3.27 gears. They should've been at least 3.73's, but that's easily remedied as well.

Fun car, worth the money.
By Black96GT

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I love my '96 GT. I don't understand all the bad reviews, it's mostly people who don't even know how to maintain a car anyway. If you take care of it, it should be a good car. I keep up all regular maintenance mine is great. Only thing I really have to complain about is that piece of junk plastic intake crossover. I broke it 2 weeks after getting the car and it cost me $700 to replace the manifold. If you buy one of these things, try to get one that already has the aluminum replacement. Other than that, great car. Not that fast for a v8 but not slow either, and definitely not bad for its time. Handles MUCH better than expected also. I love my pony.

Favorite Features

V-8, 5 speed, comfortable interior and in my opinion very nice interior for its time. I love this body style.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should repay all Mustang owners for the money we've had to spend on that intake. Also needs more power but Ford fixed that on the newer ones and for those who don't know you can swap the PI heads, cams, and intake manifold from a '99-'04 GT and solve this little problem for under $1500.

Fun 2 Drive
By ryan95973

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought new off the lot. Opal Frost GT with Option Package 248a (the 1996 version of the GTS). I added A/C at the dealer soon after purchase and then added a spoiler a couple of years later. There were a few minor problems early on (clutch noise, radio - all covered by the dealer). The intake manifold has blown twice (at 50k miles and 100k miles) - both times replaced by the dealer at no charge. Pirelli P7000 tires are a great fit for this car (get ~40k miles on them and all-weather traction). Good mileage for a V8. Some wear on the interior pieces but overall the car has aged very well. Paint still looks new. Has been a great car; still going strong on original engine at 157K miles.

Favorite Features

4.6L V8 is smooth, sounds awesome, only needed the one tuneup in 157K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could have worn a little better. Plastic trim around the radio and doors is flaking off, but some wear is expected after 9 years.

Green GT
By Green Stang

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

have owned the car for a year and had to replace radiator and power steering pump. Great car to drive but have a deep wallet to put into parts.

Favorite Features

turns heads, fun to drive, styling exterior

Suggested Improvements

could use more Horsepower for a V8, use improvments on motor