Used 1996 Ford Mustang Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
cheap reliable american classic
By Philip Gray

1996 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

I've had this car about 6 months now and have had no problems at all. It had 97K miles when I bought it but later I realized the odometer doesn't work so I don't really know how many it has on it. My favorite things about it are that it has great looks, it gets good gas mileage, and all the power options on it. Overall this is the best economical american muscle car for the money.

Favorite Features

Great MPG, power top, good looks for the year, great handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better suspension.

my 96 gt
By my 96 gt

1996 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I have owned my mustang for 9 months and it was my fourth vehicle purchase and the most expensive i have owned rare cars for the most part including a rx7 and a fiero. I found my stang and fell in love with it right away and it has been the most fun of any car iv driven its honestly sad when i have to get out of it its very reliable and runs great you truly have to drive one to know the feeling!

Favorite Features

the torque, sound of the exhaust, fun to drive with great fuel mileage for a v-8 i average 22-23 and i'm not a slow driver!

Suggested Improvements

off road h pipe with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, cold air intake headers, clear headlights

Mustang Gt Review
By Alex

1996 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

It's a fun car to own if you are handy with a tool box. I like the car but I don't trust Ford quality. Ford's use of plastic in critical engine parts is senseless. The intake manifold cracked (4.6L engine). The cheap use of plastic vacuum lines behind the dash. You have no leg room in the rear. It's an affordable sports car to own. It has plenty of power. There are plenty of aftermarket parts to keep your Mustang looking good. Be sure to get a good maintenance manual to save you money on the repairs.

Favorite Features

It drives great, and the rear bumpers can take a beating and hold their shape.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use plastic on the vacuum system. And use metal on the intake or any hot parts.

Better Gas Mileage in real world
By Sernach

1996 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

I have a 96 Mustang Convertible with 311+K on the Body. Engine Has around 100k. I average 20 City and 30 MPG Freeway even if I'm driving Fast. Turning radius on these year stangs 94- 04 is horrific. Winter Driving takes a skilled driver. Always starts for me.

Favorite Features

Easy to put down top. Ashtray in center/with cover. Side scoops that actually let air through. Good Looks. Hi way driving is pleasurable.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling. making a u turn takes 4 lanes. Seen minivans with better turning radius's. Better interior plastics. Something for winter driving? This is a death trap if it's snowy at all. An actual cup holder? Foldaway mirrors. rear fold down seats in convertible.

Lowered Mustang
By mustang man

1996 Ford Mustang Convertible 2dr Convertible

I love my green Mustang with tan top. When I bought the car it was lowered in the front, dual exhast and cobra R wheels. This car is extremely fun to drive and when the top's off, wow on a nice night it's great. But I must say that the gas mileage is pretty bad, I feel like I'm always at the gas station. But other then that I plan on buying a 1998 GT convertible that's how much I like them.

Favorite Features

Top down, and lowered in the front.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.