Used 1996 Ford Mustang GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

my 96 gt
By my 96 gt

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I have owned my mustang for 9 months and it was my fourth vehicle purchase and the most expensive i have owned rare cars for the most part including a rx7 and a fiero. I found my stang and fell in love with it right away and it has been the most fun of any car iv driven its honestly sad when i have to get out of it its very reliable and runs great you truly have to drive one to know the feeling!

Favorite Features

the torque, sound of the exhaust, fun to drive with great fuel mileage for a v-8 i average 22-23 and i'm not a slow driver!

Suggested Improvements

off road h pipe with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, cold air intake headers, clear headlights

Mustang Gt Review
By Alex

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

It's a fun car to own if you are handy with a tool box. I like the car but I don't trust Ford quality. Ford's use of plastic in critical engine parts is senseless. The intake manifold cracked (4.6L engine). The cheap use of plastic vacuum lines behind the dash. You have no leg room in the rear. It's an affordable sports car to own. It has plenty of power. There are plenty of aftermarket parts to keep your Mustang looking good. Be sure to get a good maintenance manual to save you money on the repairs.

Favorite Features

It drives great, and the rear bumpers can take a beating and hold their shape.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use plastic on the vacuum system. And use metal on the intake or any hot parts.

My Stang
By Topless96mustang

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I bought the car a few months ago and i absolutely love it. It is fun to drive and fairly fast. It does get the worst gas mileage, but that's the price you pay for 8 cylinders. Some must-have mods are: Flowmaster Dela 40 exhaust with chrome tips, headers, and a 70mm throttle body. I recommend the Edelbrock. I kept the factory intake but put on a Kk&N filter. I also opened up the scoops in the hood so the engine is kept colder. I get 20 more HP in the winter time.

Favorite Features

The convertible, the exhaust, and the speed.

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE. It's the worst! I also think the fender gap in the back tires could be lower. Not so much fiberglass parts on the car if I had to redo it.

BEAUTY
By MOPPA

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

Bought the car 2 years ago had a couple of problems but I wouldn't trade the car for anything. Have 2 Mercedes, but the Mustang is my favorite.

Favorite Features

Red, convertible

American Muscle is Fun!
By MustangT

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

The car is a ton of fun to drive. Power is always right there, but a little more is always a lttile better. So far a couple of mods (exhaust and intake) have awakened the car better than I expexted. Gas mileage isn't great, but if you want 40 miles per gallon, then this is not the car for you. The Mustang is all about power and looking good! I love it!

Favorite Features

The droptop, and the awesome sound that spews from these tow bog chrome tips! The Mach 460 sound system is a blast with the top down, doing 70 on the freeway, or cruising down by the beach on a hot summer day in So Cal.

Suggested Improvements

More power is always good. Oh, and the bottom door rockers collect a lot of dirt no matter what you do! Besides that, theres not much to improve on.