Used 1996 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I'm selling it!
By bordasel_1708

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I have had my mustang for a year and 3 months. It had 89,000 miles when I bought it and it now has 99,000. Since I've had it I had to put new spark plugs, a frame bushing ball joint, belt, a/c clutch, ignition, and also have had it aligned twice. The seats that came in it were ugly. But I put seats from a 99 Mustang in them which look really nice. I have magnaflow dual exhaust on it (which sounds great), and traded in the 15" rims for 17", got a new sonic blue paint job, custom taillights and headlights. Which have made it a good looking car that turns heads. It has been reliable and has never broken down. Overall it is a decent car.

Favorite Features

The interior, the dual exhaust, the rims

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more power, nicer standard rims and seats, more room, less little stuff to go wrong

I'm loving it
By Dave

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I love my stang. I put aftermarket exhaust, air intake with K&N filter, electronic distributor, thicker spark plug wires and better spark plugs. Very fun to drive and sounds great with true dual exhaust!

Favorite Features

Nice and zippy around town! Love the body styling of this year. Still my every day driver after 12 years!

Suggested Improvements

Should come with GT rims

I still own it
By AJ

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

No major problems after 11 years.Have not driven it much since 2004, only 2200 miles. Hard on tires. Replaced exhaust system, sounds better and increased power.

Favorite Features

Good looking car, paint still looks new. Keep it in garage.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough power, poor city mileage, hard on tires.

fun in the stang
By mustanger96

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in November 2005 from a wholesale auto store. Was not sure what I was getting but I changed all of the fluids. The check engine light was on when I got it, the students at the local community college-automotive tech program checked it out and I needed a purge solenoid - $10.00 part. I bought two new tires and got it aligned and its been great! 79,000 miles on it and it's still turning heads.

Favorite Features

Appearance -- black, with spoiler is hot.

Suggested Improvements

The ride on long trips isn't the greatest.

Over 275,000 miles!
By Down

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Over 275,000 miles on my '96 Mustang 6 cylinder and still going strong. Bought it used in '98 with 29,000 and have driven 135 miles daily round trip to work. The manual transmission went out at 185k and then the heater core started leaking at 225k. After they replaced the transmission, the speedometer cable burned into so for 3 months I didn't click off mileage so I have closer to 285k on this car and it is still going. This has been an overall excellent vehicle.

Favorite Features

Best body style on the Mustangs until the '05's were released.

Suggested Improvements

No complaints. Not the best riding vehicle out there but she still rolls.