1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1993 Mustang Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Stuck in the middle.
By davey_t16

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

Got this as my first hot rod at 17 after having two trucks and a jeep... Convertible model, was great but had some problems with the weak roof motor. Car had good take off and the 5.0 was impressive but the top end could have been better. Transmission shifted hard but held up til I hit 180k. Handled decent, gas mileage about run of the mill for the type of car. The car was babied but after I hit 80k I had some serious problems. The transmissions in these things are not built tough; car has some wiring and temp control issues. Engine seemed like it was made a lil cheap for standards. Fun cruiser though, sharp looking ride; my favorite of the pony bodies.

Favorite Features

Exterior is gorgeous; even stock. Handling was decent. Interior has nice design.

Suggested Improvements

For tall peeps like me, the front seats could have been given more room; as the back. Very tiny car. Reliability. Cup holders; hello? Transmission was horrible.

A weak pony, but a pony nontheless!
By dburkland1028

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car from it's original owner for $1200 with only 98k miles on it. It was my first car and at 15, I was in love at first site. Mine was the 4 cylinder with the automatic and it was the most reliable car I've owned yet, even beating out my 91 Accord (chalk one up for America!). I was proud of my Stang and babied it. I kept up with it and made sure it was maintained. The paint never chipped or faded and the styling is classic and unique. The 4 cylinder was fairly weak, but got about 30 mpg highway and 26 in the city. My biggest complaint was the lack of a single cup holder in the entire car! What was Ford thinking?

Favorite Features

The most unique body style Mustang to date, and by far my personal favorite. The motor ran strong until I sold it 2 years and 100k miles after purchasing it. The tranny, not so much, but for a 93 with 200k miles on the stock motor and tranny, it ran beautifully. The interior was nice and roomy, with comfortable seats and plenty of room in the backseat and the trunk area. The 4 cylinder helps keep commercial car economy in a sports styled car

Suggested Improvements

The one flaw with the interior...no cupholders. Though this is easily fixed by ordering one that takes the place of the ashtray, but you shouldn't have to do it. The motor was weak, even for a 4 cylinder

Fox on the Run
By reefblue

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car in 97 in stock/unmolested condition. When I bought the car I intended to leave it stock, but like so many others, that approach didn't last long. Started with aftermarket exhaust, gears, pulleys, and progressively replaced the intake, cam, heads, and then a supercharger. Despite being heavily modified, the car has been quite reliable and beau coup fun. I left the exterior stock [ extreme sleeper ] and the car came fully loaded, save cd player. The color is reef blue, a one time hue that is beautiful. The car has become automotive history and is criminally fast.

Favorite Features

Good news/Bad News: Good News = faster than cars > $50,000 Bad News= will pass anything but a gas station. Classic looks, 5.0 rumble, fully loaded.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, replace/reposition gauges.

My Review
By Fadedgirl

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got this car for my 16th birthday! It is the most amazing car ever! But the gas mileage is poor. And the transmission had to be rebuilt! But overall. I love my car. P. S. I get a lot of head turning driving down the street!

Favorite Features

Body, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders

Four Cyllinder
By Four Cyllinder

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car. like a fool I chose automatic. With a 2.3 liter four cyllinder automatic and 3.73 axle it took 13 seconds to reach 60 MPH. The bright red paint faded after, only, three months and the, standard, sunroof starting leaking after two years. Since I had 100000 miles on it in two years it was not covered under warranty. Other than that, I did 200000 miles in five years, doing nothing, more, to the engine and transmission than changing the oil. Although the engine was mint the buyer bought it for a body for his 5.0 engine. There has, not, been a single time I've added oil to it, once again, 200000 miles.

Favorite Features

With this car, the stereo system (Ford).

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the hatchback. '79-'93 Mustangs had room for adults in the back seat, unlike Camaro & Firebird, which hasn't had that since 1969. Maybe, offer room, for five, in future Mustangs.

By Bryce elmore

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

I had gotten this car a little more then a year ago. This is my second car that i have owned. The first car that i owned does not even compare to the Mustang. The Mustang has twice the power and handling that my other car did. I fell in love with this car. The unique outside looks are amazing and all of the other features make it just an unbelieveable car!

Suggested Improvements

Improve horsepower and the take off. As well as a cold air intake.

Favorite Fox!
By 93fastfox

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Fell in love in with my best friend's Mustang GT in 1989 and told myself I would get a "fox" at some point in my life. Bought my '93 GT last year with 125k miles on it and couldn't be happier. Engine still pulls strong and interior is in great shape (surprising for a Ford). Car sounds and looks great and still attracts attention from people driving cars worth 10 times as much. Constantly getting offers to sell but this GT will be in my garage as long as I can drive.

Favorite Features

Love the unmistakable styling and the sound of the exhaust. Car runs great, looks and sounds nice and is one of the best performance bargains of all times.

Suggested Improvements

I guess no one drank coffee in 1993 (needed a cup holder). To get a lil extra bang for the buck I added underdrive pulleys, headers, more aggressive exhaust and a cold air intake system.

Go Fast Cheap
By FlaPony

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

I drove my LX off the showroom floor 5/20/93 and have loved it from day one. 13 years and 87,000 miles later, still going strong. I've only had minor mechanical problems (new radiator, clutch, window motor). Acceleration is very good due to a ton of torque. Handling is a little better than average. Interior is good (NO cupholders?). Basically a fun car to drive cheaply. The only modifications I've done is a Ram-Air Hood and a Ram-Air Kit with a K&N air filter. I got the thumbs up from someone on the street today and people still walk up to me and ask if I'd be willing to sell it. NOT ON YOUR LIFE! I'll drive it till the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Engine easily modified. Exhaust grumble. Classic looks (2 doors, long hood, hatchback with a wing).

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, but I usually wedge a soda between the emergency brake handle and the passenger seat. Handling could be a little better, but there are tons of aftermarket add-ons you can buy to fix that.

Made to run strong and hard
By ssj50driver

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car BONE STOCK. Not even additional mufflers. The engine is easy to work on. I have only made upgrades - never had to fix anything. The electronic comforts of the car (seats, interior lights, etc) have not needed replacement yet. It is a very stable car. Lots of room in the back with the seats folded down. I traveled with about a 1,200 lb load and the car was still strong stock.

Favorite Features

Sound and handling; the ability to go fast by changing gears. Fun ride and great sound acoustics with the hatchback too!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes. Might want to do a 5-lug conversion on it. That is the only slap on the wrist Ford needs.

It keeps going and going...
By OwlMarie

1993 Ford Mustang Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

After being the sole owner for 11 years and 132K all I have to say is that it has been a very dependable vehicle. Easy to work engine, it only has had wear and tear replacements (batteries, shocks, etc.) My car did not come with any power windows or locks but probably because they're not electrical they are still working. With proper maintenace and scheduled fluid replacements this vehicle just keeps going and going...

Favorite Features

The rear seats are easy to fold down. I like the simplicity of the controls and the fact that I have not spent any money at all repairing the power equipment. Most important of all, it has taken me everywhere I wanted to go without a problem. Very reliable 4 cylinder engine.

Suggested Improvements

My vehicle did not come with a moonroof, I miss one especially during summertime. There are no cupholders or space for cell phones, PDAs. Rear seats are just good for very short people or children.