Used 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Good Car
By Dan

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

No major problems in 108k miles. Even with the v8 it was a bit underpowered compared to modern performance cars. Traction was extremely poor in snow. Seats were comfortable and controls easy to use. Tire selection was limited for the standard rims. Fuel economy could be better. Exterior design was dated, even at the time.

Engine and transmission were very solid. Hatchback was handy. Parts are relatively inexpensive.

More power for hills and better fuel economy. Higher quality exterior paint. Put grease fittings in more of the front end suspension parts to increase life.

300k '90 Stang
By Tiger90Stang

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car in 11/93 when it only had 35k miles on it. It was well taken care of and most likely driven by a non muscle car enthusiast. That was until I got a hold of it. Now it's 13 years later and less than 3k miles from 300k. Yes! Original 300,000 miles (proof with receipts).There has been NOTHING done to the engine or transmission. The only items replaced was the normal wear and tear items like alternator, brakes, tires, fuel pump, heater core, lock actuators, passenger window motor gear, struts and a recalled ECM. This car has been MORE than what I thought I'd ever get out of a muscle car. It had great acceleration (100k ago) & still rides as smooth as new. A GREAT investment!

I think the best feature on this car is the fact it has lasted as long as 300,000 + miles with nothing major breaking in the car. Amazing! In its earlier days the acceleration was great and the ride is still smooth. High speed cornering is great. Sticks to the road. VERY fun to drive!

Transmission shifting from 3rd to OD jerky and loud (can be fixed with minor intake work), lock actuators (replaced 3 times already) and better braking. A/C could be colder in my opinion. Composite headlights get dull to0 quick and the EGR valve is ALWAYS going bad.

So far, so good!
By FMSk8erGurl

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

I've only had my 5.0 for about a week or so, but so far I've had no problems (except that I need tires lol). I went from a brand new '02 VW Jetta that went in for repairs 6 times in the year that I owned it to my 1990 Stang. I loved my Jetta, but I couldn't handle paying $340 a month for a car that broke down every 8 weeks or so. My boyfriend has an '84 GT, and I love driving it, so when I came across mine, I had to get it. It's fun to drive (despite popular belief, not just in a straight line either), fun and easy to work on, and it's fast, pure American Muscle :o)

The ooomph that comes from the peddle all the way on the right...and the very nice grumble that comes from the pipes in the back :o)

Smaller turning radius!!! Power lock actuater is broken, seems to be a very common problem, also the latch on the hatch on both of our mustangs is broken and won't close without being slammed REALLY hard. Gas mileage, but what do you expect from a 5 litre V8?

fox body fun
By ed302

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Mustang in '98 with 68K on it. In the 4-5 years I have owned it, I have not had to do too much major stuff. A new AOD at 104K, a water pump at 120K, heater core at 120 also, and an alternator at 150K (just this morning in fact). If you are a Mustang fan you will know the lifespan of these parts and know when to change them (and there is a good chance you know how to do it yourself). Incredible bang for your buck ratio as with any 5.0 pony.

pure power fun to drive an all american musclecar

power lock actuator life heater core life heater core replacement difficulty!!!!! (a 9 hour job for a do it yourselfer)