Used 1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

1999 Cobra # 60 of 4040
By jmcrawford

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a College graduation gift for myself. It is my baby never seen rain / or snow in the time that I have owned it. Bought the car with 28K on it and now has 47. I only drive this car when I want, fun to drive and still get complements wherever I go. Gas mileage is great for what the car is. Paint is good for a Ford product. Awesome brakes and predictable road manners. No major issues with the car other than an A/C pressure switch. I lowered mine and changed the exhaust from heads to the tail pipes. Stock shifter was awful felt like I was rowing a boat. Cannot beat the sound of a American V8, tons of power above 3000 rpm.

Hand built V8. I like owning a piece of history. Great body lines and paint. Lots power and kind of rare. Like the front bumper, rear taillights, Independent Rear Suspension and breaks. Good sound system Mach 460 need it to hear over the growl of the V8.

The front seats are sub-par, poor leather quality, and interior plastic is cheap feeling and poor fitment. Stock shifter is awful and transmission should be smother and a six speed. Stock ride height is too high looks like it could go off road.

Still Looks Good
By JMCRAWFORD

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Great car bought it with 28000 miles in 05. Have only had a single problem. Insurance is cheep. With the recall and short production run. Haggerty considers it an exotic. (99 cobra only $500 year full coverage) Now has 47,000 only issue that I have had is AC pressure switch. Fixed it my self for $50. Stock shifter was junk and replaced that. Stops on a dime great brakes. Good gas mileage for what it is (If you want good gas mileage get a Honda)

Hand built engine. Good looks still get comments today. Great paint and love minor details with 99 Cobra (Badges rear tail lights front bumper) mach 460 sound is good. Great aftermarket selection. My Cobra is #60 4040 made. Love the stock Brembo Brakes, though they do not say Brembo on them.

Seats are awful, cheap leather and no bolster. Interior looks like it is out of a V6. CD/Radio is sub par, buttons too small. Stock wheels very bland.

Pure protected fun
By HunterMiles

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

crashed into multiple trees going +80mph when i lost control of car, didnt have a scratch on me, car was totaled tho :(

the POWER

nothing

Fantastico.
By Eddie Rodriguez

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Love the way the svt handles & performs. Would love to drive it @ autobhone. Above 4000 rpm is a different animal. With only an intake & exaust was dynoed by uti/Orlando @ 298.75 hp & 298.32tq @ whl. With a set of pulstar plugs & synthetic fluids it is putting out 315 to 320whl. Getting 20 to 21 mpg in town & 25 to 27 mpg/hwy. But have to admit that is keeping rpm Bellow 3000 & using octane boost. Went to 18'mags from Ford gt.

Irs, bkks & above all several BMW, merc & corvetts have been surprised out on hwy. I don't think there is a car that for the $$ can come close. Have never had any problem @ all. A new clutch because wanted better one, battery because dealer disconnected ground & forgot to replace & 1 head lamp.

The front seats,6spd & some sound insulating & it's done.

Kelly Green
By shurur

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Kelly is quick, reliable and gets looks everywhere she goes. I am so happy she lets me be with her. OK I bought the car used (48K) and drove her up from AL to NH. Throwout bearing was bad; so she was broken in a beautiful way. I had an AL flywheel, clutch and pro5.0 shifter installed, and have never looked back since. Never any buyers remorse. Performance is 8 only because she is not a "supercar" and "only a pony car," but proper aftermarket mods can change that in a hurry.

The entire car....Teksid hand built engine and Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). Available aftermarket mods are virtually endless. This is a feature of the Mustang.

Buy her anything she wants. She's worth it. ok she is cupholder challenged, but an "ultimate cupholder" mod will fix that.