1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )
1999 Cobra # 60 of 4040
By jmcrawford on 06/07/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a College graduation gift for myself. It is my baby never seen rain / or snow in the time that I have owned it. Bought the car with 28K on it and now has 47. I only drive this car when I want, fun to drive and still get complements wherever I go. Gas mileage is great for what the car is. Paint is good for a Ford product. Awesome brakes and predictable road manners. No major issues with the car other than an A/C pressure switch. I lowered mine and changed the exhaust from heads to the tail pipes. Stock shifter was awful felt like I was rowing a boat. Cannot beat the sound of a American V8, tons of power above 3000 rpm.

Still Looks Good
By JMCRAWFORD on 06/04/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Great car bought it with 28000 miles in 05. Have only had a single problem. Insurance is cheep. With the recall and short production run. Haggerty considers it an exotic. (99 cobra only $500 year full coverage) Now has 47,000 only issue that I have had is AC pressure switch. Fixed it my self for $50. Stock shifter was junk and replaced that. Stops on a dime great brakes. Good gas mileage for what it is (If you want good gas mileage get a Honda)

Pure protected fun
By HunterMiles on 01/16/10 18:09 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

crashed into multiple trees going +80mph when i lost control of car, didnt have a scratch on me, car was totaled tho :(

Fantastico.
By Eddie Rodriguez on 08/17/09 10:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Love the way the svt handles & performs. Would love to drive it @ autobhone. Above 4000 rpm is a different animal. With only an intake & exaust was dynoed by uti/Orlando @ 298.75 hp & 298.32tq @ whl. With a set of pulstar plugs & synthetic fluids it is putting out 315 to 320whl. Getting 20 to 21 mpg in town & 25 to 27 mpg/hwy. But have to admit that is keeping rpm Bellow 3000 & using octane boost. Went to 18'mags from Ford gt.

Kelly Green
By shurur on 06/02/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Kelly is quick, reliable and gets looks everywhere she goes. I am so happy she lets me be with her. OK I bought the car used (48K) and drove her up from AL to NH. Throwout bearing was bad; so she was broken in a beautiful way. I had an AL flywheel, clutch and pro5.0 shifter installed, and have never looked back since. Never any buyers remorse. Performance is 8 only because she is not a "supercar" and "only a pony car," but proper aftermarket mods can change that in a hurry.

Awesome Muscle Car
By Big D on 04/12/09 11:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this car, and can tell you after 10 years, its still an awesome car. The balance/handling is superb with the IRS. We take it to the SVT on-track events every chance we get, and its always a blast to drive. My kids can't wait for me to pass it on to them, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Fast, but not fun.
By punkndisorderly on 06/01/07 20:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Purchased mine used with about 4,800 miles on the odometer. It's at about 48,000 now. It's a blast to drive on the interstate or if you're smoking the tires at a light. Otherwise it rides like a log truck. It handles like a Grand Marquis around town. The build quality stinks. Lots of cheap plastic bits that creak and groan. So far I've had driver and passenger side windows and actuators and motors replaced, idler arm, a/c lines, headlights (became so hazy they turned white), rubber trim around front and back windsheild (peeled back) replaced. Suspension creaks and groans. It's great for what it is: an $18,000 car with $12,000 in engine, suspension, and brakes put on.

1999 SVT
By Michael Margareci on 06/03/06 09:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I can not believe that this car is 7 years old and yet I still enjoy driving it every summer. Honestly it is by far the most trouble free sports car I have ever owned. I would highly recommend Ford’s SVT’s products to anyone considering purchasing a high horsepower fun car. Make no mistake this car is scary fast in stock form and like any vehicle that makes over 300 hp it must be treated with respect. Ford’s hand built 32 valve motor is a joy to wring out and let stretch it legs. Mustang SVT’s are a blank canvas that every owner can and should modify to their own unique taste. Just drive one and you will not be disappointed.

Good Stang
By Razorback on 02/28/05 09:49 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Peppy V6 , Handles well, 69,000 miles and so far very reliable. Only regular maintenance items replaced. Gets around 25 mpg. I gave it to my son @ 40000 miles and I'm sure he has driven it harder than I ever did and it's still holding up OK. I have been pleased!

Easy to own muscle car
By GreyTabby on 01/01/05 13:38 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

My Cobra has been basically trouble-free. The only problems I had were covered under warranty. I am the original owner of my car, and have put 60,000 trouble free miles on it. This is my first stick shift. The car is very easy to drive. This is a great car for learning stick shift on. My original clutch is still going strong. It handles pretty well in slippery conditions. I really like the traction control. If you are a timid driver like me, this car is a god send. It totally takes care of you.