1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang SVT Cobra model:
No regrets!
By Burney on 11/17/08 08:19 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

I recently purchased this Cobra after 5 months of researching for the combination I wanted. (Low mileage, minimal owners, flawless service history, all stock, convertible) I found this car with 13,500 all original miles on it. It was garaged for the majority of its life, driven only occasionally, left completely stock, used with only full synthetic fluids, and well taken care of. When I first test drove the car I was floored by it's power and had to reteach myself to drive the manual transmission to be able to handle it all! I bought this car and modified it for better performance (not that it needed it) Very dependable, lots of power, great handling

Cobra
By John Iskat on 12/30/05 15:58 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

This has been the most fun car I've ever owned. Despite being 6 years old, I've not had any problems with it, and am impressed with the quality. Fuel economy is good for a 'muscle' car/sports car. It hits 60 in 5.4 sec. and has a top speed of 150. It is at the top of the heap of upscale sports cars, outperforming the BMW Z4, Honda S2000, Nissan 350Z and Porsche Boxster to name a few. As a somewhat rare model, it is very underrated.

Black Beauty
By markalaw on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

Great car. Fun to drive. Completely original except for tires which have been replaced 3 times. I had a 86 GT and the clutch went in 20k miles, I replaced with an after market and the car ran for another 100k without a problem. Had the same thing happen with this car and am still riding nicely with the replacement. Ford needs to work on that.

1999 Cobra Convertible
By John Slate on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

Bought car used with 24K miles, now has 36K; not sure how hard previous owner was on car but clutch needed replacement at 36K. Otherwise no problems. As usual with Ford, I think the interior plastic could use some improvement. But no rattles and a tight body so far. Engine has plenty of power and car is fun to drive. Driver's seat could use more adjustments for a more comfortable ride, but at 6'2", it's not bad. Little hard on the gas.

Mustang Kills the Camaro again.
By James A Smith on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

I have a 99 Mustang Cobra. It is awsome. I get so many heads turned towards me. Well actually the car. I love it. Ive never had so much attention from strangers in my life. It is very powerful and fast. On top of the already fast stock engine, there are so many thinks you can do to the engine to make it even faster, with the aftermarket parts. You ask people if they like the Firebird, Camaro or the Mustang better, 8 out of 10 will say they prefer the Mustang. Mustang, the great American Muscle/Sports car.

Car goes fast...to the repair shop
By Boomer775 on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

I have owned this car for roughly 2 years now, and I have to admit that is is the biggest POS I have ever owned. Let's list the problems that I have had in 2 years of ownership: Broken piston in conv top, leaking top, engine had to be replaced at 22,000 miles, car spits coolant like it's Old Faithful, fog lights shorted out, piston rings went on new engine after 12k miles, rear knuckle had to be replaced, CD player does not work... The list goes on. Don't get me wrong, the car is a blast to drive, but I think the service manager at the dealer drove the car more than I did.

Cobra is for real
By Doug Brogdon on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

This is an awesome ride. Bought a GT last year (my first Ford)and liked it. This Cobra is a whole new ballgame.

Cobra Review
By Cobra@UMD on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

I got my cobra in July of 99 and haven't ever looked back. It handles great, has the perfect sound, and more then enough power to put those "other muscle" cars in their place. I've put 42000 miles on it and havent had a single problem from it.

great car
By kenyk2 on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

The performance and handling really improved when I replaced the tires at 12000 miles.I bought kumo's and they have been great. Other than a Few recalls it has not been in the shop.

Very obvious Ford Doesn't care....
By emtboy on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 1999 Cobra and I have had nothing but problems with it. Now cars can have problems, but neither the Dealer nor the manufacturer are willing to deal with the car. It's headed for arbitration with a total of 12 problems including: powerstearing failure (while driving) Brake failure (while driving) mulitple interior things breaking A/C fails the first time it is used Recalled 3 times. And that is just the beginning....