Used 1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mustang SVT Cobra model:

The Dark Knight
By Rick

1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

My 1998 SVT Mustang Cobra is an absolute "time machine". When I slide in behind the FR500 steering wheel and fire up that SVT motor the sound just is incredible, like no other. Suddenly I am eighteen again, not sixty. A Cobra has a very unique exhaust tone. Put the convertible top down and it is even sweeter. My SVT Cobra has been modified, balanced and blue printed with select aftermarket and FRPP parts that churn out six hundred horsepower. My Cobra is #2931 of 3480 made that year and I have all the documentation, including the original window sticker, owners manual, etc. My wife, children and grandkids love this Cobra about as much as I do. Love my Dark Knight!!

Tire shredding power and spot on handling due to the suspension changes I have had made. It is currently set up for road racing. What a rush!! Great collector car and head-turner wherever we go.

The transmission hates to be "speed shifted" and gives you a noticeable grind to show it's displeasure. Stock clutch was a little weak for hard service driving. The long tube headers, high flow cats and Flowmaster system really helps to uncork the beast within.

What A Snake!
By lvnnfstln

1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe

Have had his car since new. Mods started within 200 miles, springs, caster camber plates, flowmasters, etc. I've done everything to this car over the years and drive it a bit aggressively (3 speeding tickets). It was purchased to use as weekend driver/car show duty. Everything is chromed, polished, powder coated, painted/waxed and very clean. Old p600 procharger (with inner cooler), 75 shot NOS, DVD, Subs, upgraded stereo, race seats, no rear seats, Lambo doors, carbon fiber hood (same cobra style) interior done with real cobra snakeskin accents carbon fiber, polished billet, etc, etc, too much more to list. Bottom line never really had any problems with it, other than normal.

Strong aftermarker support. I've replaced almost everything on this car that I've bought at car shows, web sites, etc.

When called by SVT 6 months after purchase, my answer was: Why aren't hood vents functional "Ram-Air?" And - This sure would be a lot more fun with a supercharger. (which I did soon therafter anyway)

my yellow cobra
By stangmaster98

1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe

great car. Easy to upgrade!! All around best bang for the buck!!

The HP

Get rid of the factory intake and pipes !

Arrest Me Yellow
By 8 Ball

1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe

Have had this car for 1 year and 7 months. Car has been very reliable zero mechanical problems Tremic T-45 trans does like to rake at high rpms could use a better gear 3.73 or higher engine is silky smooth with very high rpm band was previous owner of LS-1 trans am. Trans am would eat it for lunch!!! Car is somewhat rattly could use better build quality.Handling is good, cupholder position isnt, cd player likes to skip on bumpy roads.

Silky smooth DOHC engine, styling,whiteface gauge package.

1. rear gear ratio 2. torque 3. build quality 4. cupholders 5. trans raking 6. insulation

1998 Cobra Convertible
By Mustang Sally

1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

The engine and exhaust system are wonderful. The interior is rather cheaply built and some plastic pieces have broken. The only problems I see is that the clutch needed to be replaced at 50,000 miles and I had to replace tires 3 times with only 67000 miles.

The sound of the engine and exhaust, the seats are extremely comfortable and the car looks great and handles terrific.

Improve the quality of the dash board components such as air conditioner vents, they break too easily. Also the cup holder is not positioned very well considering it is a stick shift.