1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang-svt-cobra - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (15 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Just bought and fell in love
By cobrasrtbaby

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought my cobra svt and love it so much. That 300 horse and 304 tq is amazing

One great ride
By whitevenom

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

The writers of the review for this site are dead wrong!! "gets it's tail whipped by camaro/firebird"? There has not been 1 camaro/firebird or any other gm product that has out ran,outclassed, or even looked better than this car. I resent that statement and hope they live to eat those words. In the famous words of my father" drag that [violative content deleted] up to the line,and we'll see who has the better car"!Wait a min,just thought of something..was going to run a corvette Z06 and he broke before the burnout! hahahahahaha!

Favorite Features

exhaust note is second to none. it even has the "GM" boys green with envy! Comfort is great. The a/c,well, you could hang meat in my car for weeks and it would not go bad!

Suggested Improvements

the factory 3.27 rear end gears were not at all what the 4.6 DOHC needed. For a power plant that makes all of it's power in the 4500-7000 rpm range,FORD would have been better off providing us with at least a 3.55 gear. I have 4.10 gears in mine now, and let me tell you, It's like a big old kick in the pants from your Pappy!

cobras 1
By cobraman

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

i've had my cobra for 2 years now and i love it. it's bored out 60 thousandths and 4:10 gears. it's the best car i've raced.

Suggested Improvements

more stock hp

SVT Cobra Mustang
By DRW

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Great mustang, fun to drive, great car fro around town. Car performed well on track. Modifications were made for better tires, shift kit, air intake and cat back exhaust system. Adapts well to basic performance modifications. Engine has much more potential than current GT's

Favorite Features

The double cam overhead 32 valve Cobra 4.6 engine. This engine is much stronger and more capable than the current 3 valve cars. It doesn't run with my Corvette, but I truly enjoy driving it more. I love the car on a circle track or a road course. Great car.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is unpredictable. Often times the car is difficult to put into reverse. Ford should have put a better tranny in the car that would live up to it's performance and not pinch pennies.

Cobra #1 car I've owned
By bmxr152

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 6 months ago and it runs awesome. It was totally stock and nothing done to it. I bought it at 116k miles. I've since put 10k miles and have put an xpipe, 100shot nitrous, intake, and plug wires. I can say it runs much better and haven't seen any problems with over 380hp 450ftlbs torque on the 116k car. It handles great too. I must say I need some 4.10 gears and wil take almost half a second off my 1/4 et's. In one word, great car.

Favorite Features

4.6L 4v motor, mach 460 radio, seats

Suggested Improvements

Better radiator design, better gears, better transmission, traction control

The car rocks
By jt ballard

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I think it rocks. I have not done anything to the motor except put a new performance intake in it (by choice). Other than that and having oil changed on time and tune ups done I haven't had to do anything to the motor. Like i said the car rocks

Favorite Features

The steering wheel, the dash, the motor, and the exterior along with the seats

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would give the Mustang more horsepower

my blown cobra
By flowfx

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

32v + boost = amazing amounts of power. my 97 cobra has a vortech sq-s trim @12psi and runs low 11s allday with a very safe tune. I think the editor review is ridiculous. And this is a SPORTS CAR with a SOLID REAR END. Of course its going to drive hard with a stiff suspension, and of course potholes are going to go BUMP. *rolleyes* Sounds like some of these people need to turn in their Cobras and head over to the Escort aisle.

Favorite Features

32v 4cam leather interior all power

Suggested Improvements

interior quality MORE ENGINE BAY ROOM.

1 SWEET CAR
By 97Cobra SVT

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

After this cobra, I will always own a cobra, this car is like no other, even when it was stock it had more balls then any car ive ever been in, and this car looks great inside and out.

Favorite Features

The 4.6L dohc motor with 305 stock hp really is great.

Suggested Improvements

Its my perfect car JUST NOT AN EVERYDAY CAR CUZ ITS BAD ON GAS

97 cobra
By benna

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

a great looking american muscle car. fun to drive and very fast with minor mods.turns many heads.a real bad car.the 4.6 dohc 32valve v-8 puts out 305 horse stock. witch makes the car capable of a 13.9 stock. it can easily get to 12s with few mods.i think this is the best car for the money out there. with no trouble.

Favorite Features

the 4.6 32valve v-8 with 305horse. the styling. in all the whole car. the only thing is the stock pony on the front. the snake looks much better.

Suggested Improvements

slight mods to motor.snake insted of pony. chrome cobra r rims. cat back exhaust.and short shift.

Refined Musclecar
By Snake

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Tons of high RPM power. Love the angry 32 valve DOHC V8. Handles great. Well built. Beutiful exhaust note. people really notice this beast. All around nice car, not just a straightline performance car. no one will regret buying this car. Pop the clutch shift at 6800 RPM's, snatch second fishtail hit sixty before you know it and listen to that mean Cobra motor sing.

Favorite Features

32V DOHC motor, good styling, Mach 460 sound system, all around good car.

Suggested Improvements

Six speed transmission, better shifter