Used 1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (15 reviews )

Just bought and fell in love
By cobrasrtbaby

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought my cobra svt and love it so much. That 300 horse and 304 tq is amazing

One great ride
By whitevenom

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

The writers of the review for this site are dead wrong!! "gets it's tail whipped by camaro/firebird"? There has not been 1 camaro/firebird or any other gm product that has out ran,outclassed, or even looked better than this car. I resent that statement and hope they live to eat those words. In the famous words of my father" drag that [violative content deleted] up to the line,and we'll see who has the better car"!Wait a min,just thought of something..was going to run a corvette Z06 and he broke before the burnout! hahahahahaha!

exhaust note is second to none. it even has the "GM" boys green with envy! Comfort is great. The a/c,well, you could hang meat in my car for weeks and it would not go bad!

the factory 3.27 rear end gears were not at all what the 4.6 DOHC needed. For a power plant that makes all of it's power in the 4500-7000 rpm range,FORD would have been better off providing us with at least a 3.55 gear. I have 4.10 gears in mine now, and let me tell you, It's like a big old kick in the pants from your Pappy!

cobras 1
By cobraman

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

i've had my cobra for 2 years now and i love it. it's bored out 60 thousandths and 4:10 gears. it's the best car i've raced.

more stock hp

SVT Cobra Mustang
By DRW

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

Great mustang, fun to drive, great car fro around town. Car performed well on track. Modifications were made for better tires, shift kit, air intake and cat back exhaust system. Adapts well to basic performance modifications. Engine has much more potential than current GT's

The double cam overhead 32 valve Cobra 4.6 engine. This engine is much stronger and more capable than the current 3 valve cars. It doesn't run with my Corvette, but I truly enjoy driving it more. I love the car on a circle track or a road course. Great car.

The transmission is unpredictable. Often times the car is difficult to put into reverse. Ford should have put a better tranny in the car that would live up to it's performance and not pinch pennies.

Cobra #1 car I've owned
By bmxr152

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 6 months ago and it runs awesome. It was totally stock and nothing done to it. I bought it at 116k miles. I've since put 10k miles and have put an xpipe, 100shot nitrous, intake, and plug wires. I can say it runs much better and haven't seen any problems with over 380hp 450ftlbs torque on the 116k car. It handles great too. I must say I need some 4.10 gears and wil take almost half a second off my 1/4 et's. In one word, great car.

4.6L 4v motor, mach 460 radio, seats

Better radiator design, better gears, better transmission, traction control