Used 1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 5-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

Soon to be a classic
By JBrown

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 96 cobra with 36000 miles on it in 2003 and have loved every min. What a value. My first mustang was a 2000 GT which I had a blast with but kept looking at the 96- 98 cobra and I had to have one. In my opinion this car has one of the greatest sounding engines of all time. i have done a few mods: 1.lowering springs (a must, stock it looks like a 4X4) 2. caster camber plates (to get correct alignment) 3.mac mufflers. With just a few mods the car looks and sounds great.

unique 32valve 4cam motor. great body style.

none. great car, soon to be a classic

By matt7571

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible 2dr Convertible

we bought this car as a fund car & investment. The car is only used in the sumemr and we have enjoyed it a great deal. The 96 to 98 cobra's have always had a place in my heart and the car still tuns heads, even though it is getting a few years on it.

the staged valve opening at around 3200 rpm - produces a supercharger type effect without the blower.

none, althoug if additional performance is wanted - i woudl suggest changing the rear end gears to 3.73, upgrading the shifter to a short throw option, replacing the cat back system & H pipe, and of course, a blower if you are up for the cost of it.

Mustang = Modify to Taste!
By Green Jackal

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought this car used in '99 with 12k miles on it. It already had some needed modifications on it: subframe connector (strengthens car) and aftermarket shifter (improves shift feel dramatically). I had mine lowered about 2 inches and put in adjustable shocks. Handeling improved dramatically. I hated the stock spongy feeling suspension. Since I do have a convertible I do have some squeaking over uneven pavement. The best thing about Mustangs are the HUGE aftermarket for parts. This makes replacement parts cheap and usually better quality than the originals. You can customize these cars to your own personal tastes for far less than most cars.

High reving, huge aftermarket for performance parts, good looks. Big brakes and strong DOHC aluminum engine.

Needs more mid range power and get rid of the live axel and outdated chasis.

Good Bang for the Buck
By LillBuddy

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible 2dr Convertible

Other than an annoying brake related squeek, the car has been great. What better combination of power, fun, and looks can you get for the money?? I've had the car 7+ years with a whopping total of 4,800 miles.

0-60!, convertible top, and exhaust sound.

Some oversteer and little rough ride that has been greatluy improved with the independent suspension.