Used 1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mustang SVT Cobra model:

Soon to be a classic
By JBrown

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 96 cobra with 36000 miles on it in 2003 and have loved every min. What a value. My first mustang was a 2000 GT which I had a blast with but kept looking at the 96- 98 cobra and I had to have one. In my opinion this car has one of the greatest sounding engines of all time. i have done a few mods: 1.lowering springs (a must, stock it looks like a 4X4) 2. caster camber plates (to get correct alignment) 3.mac mufflers. With just a few mods the car looks and sounds great.

Favorite Features

unique 32valve 4cam motor. great body style.

Suggested Improvements

none. great car, soon to be a classic

1996 cobra coupe
By Ryan's

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe

Wow...what a bang for the buck..high performance without breaking the bank. I love the ride, the sounds and the acceleration...what a car. Great toy but not made to be driven in bad weather, rain or snow.

Favorite Features

305 hp..what else do you need to say..stock it runs the 1/4 miles in under 14 seconds..tons of after market stuff is made for this car.

Suggested Improvements

Rides stiff.pre independent suspension compared to the newer cobras. Still a great ride...no regrets...:)

By matt7571

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible

we bought this car as a fund car & investment. The car is only used in the sumemr and we have enjoyed it a great deal. The 96 to 98 cobra's have always had a place in my heart and the car still tuns heads, even though it is getting a few years on it.

Favorite Features

the staged valve opening at around 3200 rpm - produces a supercharger type effect without the blower.

Suggested Improvements

none, althoug if additional performance is wanted - i woudl suggest changing the rear end gears to 3.73, upgrading the shifter to a short throw option, replacing the cat back system & H pipe, and of course, a blower if you are up for the cost of it.

STANG
By COBRA96

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe

Drives well. I also love the durabilty of the leather seats. Only had minor problems. Way less than my Camaro.

Favorite Features

It Handles not far under the miata for my testing on country roads just remember to let off th throttle in turns.

Suggested Improvements

Irs. 6-speed trans. 18 inch wheels. and can you really ever have enough power?

96 Cobra Coupe
By gt5612a

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe

An excellent performer, especially in a straight line, with good amenities and a sporting (harsh ride) attitude.

Favorite Features

The high-revving rocket engine just keeps going! The style is simply classic.

Suggested Improvements

T-45 transmission is the weak link, and ride borders on too harsh, especially without independent rear suspension.