Capable Runner
By hobbie2k on
1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4dr Wagon
As a people and stuff hauler, it does quite well, carrying 6 people in relative comfort, and 8 at max. It has enough cargo space and towing capacity to compete with a mid-size SUV, and gets better fuel mileage. Ride and handling are on the poor side of average when compared to mid-size imports from the period. The engine is torquey, but is less powerful than many current I4s making it fairly slow. Reliability has been mixed. When I'm told by Vic enthusiasts that the SEVEN significant repairs (most would cost $500+ to repair professionally) the car needs are all "common" for this model, I begin to wonder what they think "reliable" means. But, the car runs well and gets me where I'm going.
Favorite Features
Big cargo and towing capacity makes it a great 2nd vehicle or alternative to SUV. Tough body and frame have stood up to MN winters. Big, heavy, and slow makes it a safe first car. It may not be exceptionally reliable, but parts are cheap (if you can find them) and easy to replace by yourself.
Suggested Improvements
Outdated styling and ergonomics. Surprisingly short on legroom. More efficient design could free up a lot more interior space. Potholes and cracks upset the suspension. Numb steering. Most common reliability issues caused by cheap parts and materials, and poor design and assembly.