Great to drive and comfortable, with some small issues
By fusionownernj on
2013 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I own a 2013 red Ford Fusion SE Automatic with the 1.6 Ecoboost engine. The car does a lot well, and drives way better than our 2012 Fusion. The engine averages well over 30 mpg on the highway, yet feels way gutsier than a 1.6 when accelerating, and it also sounds nice. The transmission works well, albeit the sport feature doesn't do much. It's nice that it comes standard with Sync, but the system doesn't always work as expected. So far, our only problem with ownership has been a fuel gauge that depletes way quicker than it should (will say it used 1/4 a tank after 10 miles). It's been to the dealer twice, and they can't figure out why it does this.
Favorite Features
My favorite features about my car are the engine, the steering, the ride quality/handling, and the seats. The interior is nice, and fit/finish is good. Definitely a long step ahead of where Fords were a few years back. However, I wouldn't say it's best in class. The steering is spot-on, very direct and weighty at higher speeds, but light and connected at lower speeds. Has good feedback too. The base stereo is also good, although I'd recommend paying extra for the sony. Having driven all 3 engines available in this car, the 2.0 is definitely the one to get for performance, but for economy, skip the 2.5 and get the 1.6! The 2.5 in my 2012 Fusion is completely gutless.
Suggested Improvements
Ford needs to work on the reliability. It's not really detrimental to my ownership experience that the fuel gauge is a little off, but I know that a Honda or Toyota would not have this issue. Also, for such a big car, the back seats are pretty cramped. The trunk is enormous, too enormous I think. Personally, I think the back seat is way more useful than the trunk. I mostly put cargo in the back seat anyway, and obviously a full sized sedan needs a large backseat to transport its occupants. In the future, I'd say if Ford has to choose only one, I'd take space away from the trunk and add it to the back seat. Also, sack Microsoft already and get someone else to do Sync so it works.