Base Hit … No Home Run
By g0west on
2013 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
The redesigned Fusion is a well-executed sedan with a few shortcomings that can't be ignored. It does the most important things well: a supremely comfortable ride, an invigorating drivetrain, and looks that strangers still comment on. The shopping was over when I drove the Fusion. I still like it after one year of ownership, but it has some annoyances (see below) that buyers should be aware of.
Favorite Features
The 2.0L EcoBoost is a smooth-running, quiet engine -- as refined as any four-cylinder on the market today. Six-speed transmission works very well - it goes to the right gear every time and shifts smoothly. Cabin provides a quiet, composed ride. Really a pleasure on the interstate or on windy back-roads.
Suggested Improvements
Three criticisms: 1) Touchy brakes. There was a recall for "grabby" brakes in 2013 Fusions, but the dealer says mine isn't included. I've grown to live with it, but other people who drive my car notice the touchy brakes right away. 2) The Sirius radio sounds horrible. I can't believe any audio engineer allowed such a lousy sounding radio in a new vehicle. The XM Radio in our Chevy sounds wonderful -- Ford picked the loser with Sirius. Sirius and XM use different satellites and different receivers, but the same programming now that the companies have merged. 3) Gas mileage has been less than I'd hoped. Averaging 22 around town, 28 on the highway.