Don't Believe the Estimated MPG
By pvlawyer on
2013 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I have had this car for a month and bought it specifically for the mileage since I drive over 20,000 miles per year. My Jaq S-Type with V8 got 20-22 mpg, and this 4 cylinder only averages 22-24 mpg. Even on straight highway trip with no traffic, it reached 29 mpg, not the 36 advertised. I've only reached 29 mpg once. Extremely disappointed! I see a class action in Ford's future just like Hyundai and Kia just had. Dealer says it will be get better mileage after break-in period (1000 miles), but with 2100 miles on car, no change. Last tank averaged 22 mpg. I could be driving my V8 luxury car!! I rated performance low because the car doesn't get mpg it advertises!
Favorite Features
The exterior is sleek and sharp looking, but I bought the car for the mpg. The performance package enhances look.
Suggested Improvements
Dealers and EPA should give accurate mpg based on best averages car attains in testing. With the price of gas, consumers are buying cars based on mpg. We expect the cars to perform and not be defrauded by dealers and the EPA. Ford should also offer features independently. Consumers are forced to buy packages to add a single feature which precludes you from designing car as you would like.
By sentinelone
on 03/16/13 23:45 PM (PDT)

As a rule I find that "real world" MPG is usually around 5-7 MPG less than what the EPA estimates are for most vehicles, even when driven non-enthusiastically. Your Fusion 2.5 is EPA rated at "22 City, 34 Highway, and 26 Average". You say you are getting a low of 22 MPG and have seen a high of 29 MPG, and you say you are averaging around 22-24 MPG, so that sounds about what a person will get with this vehicle out here in the "real world", not in some artificially perfected government testing environment; see what I mean? So now that you know the truth about what EPA estimates really are, I hope you realize that this is not a "Ford" issue, and it applies across the board due to the misunderstanding of the general populace as to what those EPA figures actually represent, which is based on fantasy and make believe.

By braiinz
on 11/01/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

I don't know if this applies to this review, but I does sound like what many people that I know have done. The MPG gauge that is built into many cars these days will tell you your average MPG sense it was last reset. That means when you leave your car idling and it is getting 0 MPG, then that is factored into the average MPG if you are doing many many miles of city driving and just a few miles of highway driving then you will get an average that looks much closer to city ratings. If you are getting ready to get into the highway and you want to know your MPG for highway driving then you need to reset your MPG gauge before the trip for your gauge to be accurate during that trip. This is just an observation I have made from people that don't know any better, and I'd hate to see a bad review just because the reviewer doesn't know about the reset button.

By cbrandi
on 02/03/14 10:29 AM (PST)

I have a 2012 Focus and we routinely get 40mpg on the highway. I also have a 400hp Jaguar that gets 26-27mpg on the highway. Can't imagine why this fellow is getting such low numbers.