2012 Ford Fusion Consumer Review: The Great Disappointment

2012 Ford Fusion - Consumer Review

S Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

The Great Disappointment
By shutupnrock8 on

2012 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I'm not one to sugar coat a review, so I'll get right to the point and the reasoning behind the title of my review. I have been an owner of a 2012 Ford Fusion SE for about 5 months now, and needless to say I have very strong mixed feelings about it. Being the first sedan I was going to own, previously owning a 2000 Chrysler Voyager, I wanted a new roomy, sleek, and fuel efficient sedan in which I was pleased at first with the Fusion. After driving for awhile, I've noticed that I've been going to the pump almost twice as much as my Chrysler. I have done two extensive tests to find out my Fusion is only getting a combined 15.5 MPG. This on top of other nagging issues is making me very unhappy.

Comfortable and roomy interior, stylish exterior

An estimated MPG gauge or meter on the dashboard
By gimmeabrk
on 04/29/14 14:21 PM (PDT)

There is nothing wrong with your calculations. I recently purchased a CPO 2012 Ford Fusion SEL with the 3.0L V6 FWD and the piece of crap gets 14 to 14.5 mpg in the city. I've taken it to two dealerships and they've told me that I need to drive it like grandma in order to get better mileage. Believe me I am NOT driving aggressively - I wouldn't be able to afford it! I'm taking off from a light so slowly that people behind me are getting angry with me. One dealership ran a computerized mpg test and got 20.5 mpg combined Hwy and City driving (actually more highway than city). The EPA estimates for this car are 20 City and 27 Hwy with 23 combined. The tech who ran the test told me that they are told to drive the car as gently as possible to get their numbers. So by Ford's own admission, even when you drive the car like grandma, you don't get the EPA estimated averages. What a load! Blame the driver for your bad design. What other car manufacturer tells you to baby their V6 so you can get 14 to 15 mpg in the City? My wife has a 5.0L Mustang 5-speed and I get the same mpg in that car driving more aggressively! I can't wait to trade in this piece of crap for a real car. It'll be cheaper in the long run to take the loss on the trade than to keep spending on gas. No more Ford for me!

By tromatized
on 08/07/13 20:42 PM (PDT)

15.5 mpg? Something is either wrong with your calculations, or there is something wrong with the car... unless you have a 3.5 all wheel drive instead of a front wheel drive 2.5.

By douglas64
on 07/29/14 11:11 AM (PDT)

Wow, I just read this and agree that something is really wrong with this car if the calculations are correct. We have a 2012 Fusion 2.5 auto with 27k on it and constantly get 22-25 city and 34+ on the highway. Maybe I just got lucky.

By rgoolsby
on 02/17/14 17:09 PM (PST)

Being that this review is now well over a year old, I'd hope your gas mileage has improved. Frequently it takes time for engine break-in and until that happens, mileage may be all over the map. I have a 2012 SEL w/60k+ miles on it, the 3.0 engine and AWD. I did several hundred miles of combined city, freeway and highway driving over the past weekend and netted over 25 MPG. For a car this size, I'm pleased.