Used 2012 Ford Fusion Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:
Still love it three years in
By cottre22 on 02/09/15 15:08 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Ford Fusion almost exactly three years ago (end of January 2012). The last time I purchased a car before the Ford was a 2005 Honda Civic. I bought the Civic for affordability but I was never really that into it. I love my Fusion. The best thing about it is the pickup. That's something that you notice when you're coming from a Civic. The Fusion has 175 hp minimum (depending on your model) and so it's easy to get up to speed when getting on the highway. My car is FWD but it handles okay in the snow. It's bigger and sturdier than my Civic so it doesn't slide around the road as much every time the wind blows. The "L" gear has also come in handy for getting out of snow banks.

My first four-door sedan in 10 years!
By paulsnj on 01/12/15 12:26 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I replaced my aging and heavy Chrysler Pacifica with this Fusion, knowing that it shares its engine and platform with the Mazda 6. Hondas and Toyotas are too expensive to buy used, so this was a good option. I drive about 35,000 miles a year so brand new is out. The four cylinder is suprisingly powerful and smooth; won't win any drag races but the six-speed seems to find the right gear to suit the situation. Seats are a little hard on the bottom cushion but supportive. The interior has a little too much black plastic but fits together well, and all controls have a nice soild tactile feel to them. Leather seems to be of the "harder" variety which means it should be durable as well.

Such a shame
By tbowen on 09/27/14 07:20 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2009 Ford Fusion I adored. Started having some issues at 105,000 so I traded for the 2012 Fusion. Man did they ruin a wonderful car with the changes. I hate the weak underpowered 4 cylinder in it. Gas mileage is about 28 mpg overall. Seats are hard and uncomfortable. The worst part is the transmission problems they can't seem to fix in the newer Fusions. It slips, shifts hard and jerks you, shudders trying to go up a hill etc. Had it in the shop and told after a computer update that it will fix itself! What a joke. AVOID this car!

Great job Ford!
By vkmaxima on 06/29/14 21:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 189k on the clock, and I must say I've always been a Ford fan. I love my 2012 Ford Fusion SEL. Bought the car used with 49k now 54k on it. I needed something a little more fuel efficient and that's what I got. The car achieves 22+ mpg city and 29+ mpg highway. I average about 24-26 mpg in mixed driving. The car is absolutely comfortable, and is very quiet. I like to drive my family and friends around, and they've all complimented how great the car is. My favorite feature is the SYNC system. Honestly, everyone who has had issues with it need to check themselves. It's a pretty easy system to use. The 2.5L I4 has very good power, all in all a great car.

A-OK
By skicat2 on 05/12/14 12:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My priority with this latest vehicle purchase was comfort. I've always driven fairly sporty cars (Ford Probe GT, SVT Focus, Lexus IS300), and this time around I wanted a quiet vehicle that wasn't a complete slug. I'd rented a Fusion in FL last year and was favorably impressed. So when a typical idiot MI driver rear-ended and totaled the Lexus a few weeks ago, I looked into a used 2012 Fusion and got everything except Nav & AWD, neither of which I need. It's comfortable, quiet and the V6 has plenty of power. I was even surprised by the fuel economy: 26+ city, 33+ why. Now if I want to go tear about the countryside, I jump in the Miata.

What a disappointment
By gimmeabrk on 04/29/14 14:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a CPO 2012 Ford Fusion SEL with the 3.0L V6 FWD and the piece of crap gets 14 to 14.5 mpg in the city. I've taken it to two dealerships and they've told me that I need to drive it like grandma in order to get better mileage. Believe me I am NOT driving aggressively - I wouldn't be able to afford it! I'm taking off from a light so slowly that people behind me are getting angry with me. The EPA estimates for this car (FWD) are 20 City and 27 Hwy with 23 combined. One dealership ran a computerized mpg test and got 20.5 mpg combined Hwy and City driving. So by Ford's own admission, even when you drive the car like grandma, you don't get the EPA estimated averages.

Unacceptable sounds
By snowwhite1964 on 04/07/14 17:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am getting very tired of the high pitched whistling sound that I have been told is from the fuel pump. I have complained about this but the dealership says its normal for a fusion. Additionally, at 1500 rpms, it makes what I would describe as the sound of a small motor boat. This sound is most notable while turning the car or on non-level ground. The dealership and my husband both say, this is normal. Also, there have been issues with the gas cap housing and filler pipe that have had to be fixed.

Nice American Sedan
By kingkole02 on 11/25/13 11:19 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The overseas market is going to lose its edge if the American car manufacturers keep building models like these. I trade a bad Japanese model for this one and made my life much better. The Fusion has power, great handling, comfort, and a great sound system. Very pleasing to drive all around car. The only downside is the ridiculous headrest system which does not work well and failed and the passenger side. I would see replacing these headrests over time if frequent adjustment is required.

Great Comfortable car
By sonshineacres on 08/13/13 12:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife wanted a car with a sunroof. We found this car used with 3000 miles a few months ago. Heated leather seats, Sony sound system, sunroof and appearance package. What a great, comfortable car and fun to drive. We have the 3.0 V6 but it is not AWD and that option is not shown on the list. We love the car and the mileage. we typically get 22 around town, but have been up to 30 to 31 on the highway. not bad for a V6

Repairs Already
By gm771 on 06/05/13 19:48 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SPORT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Fusion was purchased new a year ago and I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation. I was told by the service department I need four new tires and an alignment at $1000 even though the car is only at 22,000 miles. I was told it was my fault I have to replace the tires because I drive "too hard". When I told the dealer this was my third Ford vehicle (all purchased new) and I never had to replace the tires this early I was told again it was my fault and not faulty tires. I will never buy a Ford again. They don't stand by their products and blame customers even though this is the fourth vehicle I have purchased new and didn't have this problem with the other three.