Used 2012 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Replaced a 2003 XLS Avalon...
By mrwhsla

2012 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

...this my second Fusion.. first was a 2010... yes, I was shocked when I parked the two next to each other... Both are almost the same length- its negligible at ...best for the Avalon... and the interior room is greater... but its a wider FULL-size car (insurance was 700+ for six months vs the Fusion is a midsize one with insurance at 850 lol. I enjoy the feel of the Fusion. Its more fun and engaging to drive... yes, its NINE years younger than the Avalon, but with 145k fewer thousand miles.. I hope its equally or MORE reliable. Started having electrical issues with it (battery terminal and cable burned somehow) and I wanted a fully loaded car with sunroof, leather, heated seats, and preferably a system like Sync for music and stuff. not to mention some version of spaciousness (couldnt get approved for the 2012 Azera I wanted) The Chevy version is great- had it in a rental Cruze LTZ, but this Fusion was a one-owner with 24k miles- still under factory warranty for the same or lower price as the newer and SMALLER Cruze LTZ. I will come back and update this review after Labor Day. I have a couple road trips coming.

Still love it three years in
By cottre22

2012 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Ford Fusion almost exactly three years ago (end of January 2012). The last time I purchased a car before the Ford was a 2005 Honda Civic. I bought the Civic for affordability but I was never really that into it. I love my Fusion. The best thing about it is the pickup. That's something that you notice when you're coming from a Civic. The Fusion has 175 hp minimum (depending on your model) and so it's easy to get up to speed when getting on the highway. My car is FWD but it handles okay in the snow. It's bigger and sturdier than my Civic so it doesn't slide around the road as much every time the wind blows. The "L" gear has also come in handy for getting out of snow banks.

I love the Bluetooth. It's nice being able to hook up Pandora via my phone to the radio using Bluetooth. The pickup again is awesome. I'm still enchanted with my car three years into ownership. Every time I get into my vehicle, I'm like, wow this is my car!

I got disenchanted with the SYNC navigation system. Ford got me lost when going from my hotel in Cleveland to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Also, the darn thing can barely understand anything I say. Honestly, I just started using Google Maps again at one point. The only problems I've had with the car I caused. I ran over a barrier in a parking lot and then my engine started making a lot of noise. I took it in and the mechanics were able to get the engine noise down although couldn't see any real damage to the vehicle. I guess I knocked a belt out of alignment or something.

My first four-door sedan in 10 years!
By paulsnj

2012 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I replaced my aging and heavy Chrysler Pacifica with this Fusion, knowing that it shares its engine and platform with the Mazda 6. Hondas and Toyotas are too expensive to buy used, so this was a good option. I drive about 35,000 miles a year so brand new is out. The four cylinder is suprisingly powerful and smooth; won't win any drag races but the six-speed seems to find the right gear to suit the situation. Seats are a little hard on the bottom cushion but supportive. The interior has a little too much black plastic but fits together well, and all controls have a nice soild tactile feel to them. Leather seems to be of the "harder" variety which means it should be durable as well.

Excellent "Roof and Radio" package! I have not had a sunroof in years, can't wait for warmer weather. The Sony stereo has clear bass and tweeters behind each rear view mirror, great sound quality. Love having Bluetooth, was easy to pair my phone - have not tried to get involved with the voice recognition yet. Very quiet highway ride with just the right combination of firmness and isolation from bumps. The electric power steering is a first for me - it is responsive but not too "loose" either. Heated seats are a boon in this cold weather, actually get way too hot for my liking. Automatic climate control works effortlessly and will not kick on until the car warms up and produces heat.

The hazard flasher button activates when breathed on (i.e., when typing on an aftermarket GPS mounted right above it); my old car had it in the same spot but was never a problem. The SYNC system seems complicated, but the radio interface, especially direct station tuning via 0-9 buttons, is actually quite nice. The newer 2013-4-5 Fusions have slanted buttons that seem to be more complex to me. Climate controls are mounted very low; fortunately the automatic temperature controls are large and accessible. There should be another 12V power point on the dash without having to fish a cord out through the console to power my phone. Gap at the front of the sunshade for the moonroof when closed

Such a shame
By tbowen

2012 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2009 Ford Fusion I adored. Started having some issues at 105,000 so I traded for the 2012 Fusion. Man did they ruin a wonderful car with the changes. I hate the weak underpowered 4 cylinder in it. Gas mileage is about 28 mpg overall. Seats are hard and uncomfortable. The worst part is the transmission problems they can't seem to fix in the newer Fusions. It slips, shifts hard and jerks you, shudders trying to go up a hill etc. Had it in the shop and told after a computer update that it will fix itself! What a joke. AVOID this car!

Loved the looks and interior set up

Fix the transmission! Make the seats softer! Give the 4 cylinder engine more power.

Great job Ford!
By vkmaxima

2012 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 189k on the clock, and I must say I've always been a Ford fan. I love my 2012 Ford Fusion SEL. Bought the car used with 49k now 54k on it. I needed something a little more fuel efficient and that's what I got. The car achieves 22+ mpg city and 29+ mpg highway. I average about 24-26 mpg in mixed driving. The car is absolutely comfortable, and is very quiet. I like to drive my family and friends around, and they've all complimented how great the car is. My favorite feature is the SYNC system. Honestly, everyone who has had issues with it need to check themselves. It's a pretty easy system to use. The 2.5L I4 has very good power, all in all a great car.

Microsoft SYNC, good handling, exterior and interior styling, ride comfort, fuel economy, solidarity, roominess, quiet cabin, Easy-Fuel No Cap system.

better cup holders for rear passengers, movable center armrest.