Used 2010 Ford Fusion SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Transmission problems!
By daveglo

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Buyers beware! This model year of Ford Fusion has had many, many transmission problems, and I can not recommend this vehicle. I'm a lifelong Ford owner, and would normally stand up for them, but this machine has been extremely disappointing. The dealership has done the repairs as recommended by Ford, but it's never going to be enough until they re-design the transmission. The transmission started slipping before 20K miles, and would slip bad enough to drop a gear when accelerating at highway speed. It completely disengaged once while at normal highway speeds, and had to coast to the shoulder and "re-boot" the car (it's all electronic controls) to get it back to shop. Do not buy!

Transmission news
By babbs3

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Saw on this evenings' news that Ford got bad marks for their transmissions .Finally all of us that have been complaining about the strange 6sp. auto. has been heard. Can we hope that Ford will properly address these problems? Ford is still building some great looking cars but oh those trannys are a nightmare. The 6 sp was supposed to increase mpg. but how can it if the engine is reving like a race car between gears?

Transmisson and steering
By lesmor1

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I thought the candy apple red metallic on the fusion was so pretty. I forgot it needed to be dependable. At 4000 miles it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. Had to rebuild the transmission. Drove to Boise from Portland a in Meridian the rack of the steering had to be replaced. It was about 12,000 miles. Fortunatly for us it happened when stopped. Not a happy Fusion owner. It is a nice car but needs to bdependable. Wish I had my Toyota back.

Favorite Features

Appeal, comfort, phone

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and steering, let you know if there is more

Ford is still the same poor quality
By wolffchad

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I really wanted to love this car.I liked everything about it when i bought it new in June 09 but...At 6000 miles while taking my son to tour a college i was on an incline and the tranny slipped.When i returned home i took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed the tranny.Seemed fine for a while but started slipping again.At 19000 the dealership found a leak from the half shaft and burned out clutches. At 25500 miles the tranny had to be rebuilt when at 70mph it went out of gear while on vacation and would not engage.Had no power. When they hooked it to the computer there were no error codes even though the clutches burned out again.It's starting to flair after rebuild 7.15.11.Don't buy Ford.

Favorite Features

Sync and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the defective transmissions. Dump the 6f35 transmission piece of crap. Improve the technology. Better customer service. Ford is trying to cover up the problems with their vehicles. Buyer beware. If you buy this junk get an extended warranty. You will need it.

Still amazed by this car...
By chinorth

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My Fusion is an SEL with the 3.0 V6, bought mid-2010. Since then I've already put upwards of 25,000 miles on it, mixed city/highway. In short, I've put it through hell. It still drives like new. Unlike "Big Three" cars of just a few years ago, there's not a squeek or rattle to be heard. I've had none of the transmission issues some people are complaining about. One must realize that unhappy customers are more likely to speak up than satisfied ones...I highly doubt the number of complaints here are indicative of the actual frequency of the issues (this goes for all cars). I seem to recall though that a change was made to the 2010 transmissions in early 2010 to resolve some issues.

Favorite Features

-Super comfortable interior (leather) -Very solid Sony sound system -V6 generates plenty of power and is uber-smooth on the highway -Very solid fuel economy: I average 25mpg mixed, but on road trips on the highway I can average 30mpg -Handles very well...good road feel for a mid-size at this pricepoint (not "floaty" like the Camry) -Sync voice system is a nice touch

Suggested Improvements

-Not a fan of the rear-end design of this car. This is purely cosmetic. -Sure would be nice if the 300hp V6 they put in the new Mustangs was in there, but then who'd buy the V6 Mustang? -Sync system is a bit clunky and non-intuitive. For example, if have a USB MP3 player connected, and I say "Play track..." before selecting the USB source, it doesn't understand...even if the USB source is the only one with any available tracks at the time. As a computer programmer myself, I find this to be a bit lazy on Microsoft's part, especially this long into Sync's development