2010 Ford Fusion SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2010 Fusion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Sort Reviews by

Pretty Car, unreliable & poorly built
By Jim from Houston

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased new 2010 Fusion SEL in May 2009. Four cylinder provided adequate acceleration & excellent MPG. I was impressed by the quiet interior & smooth shifts. What a diff a year makes - now the engine sounds like a dying sewing machine and the tranny either revs to the red-line before a rubbery downshift OR it bangs out harsh clunky shifts). This is after the "transmission recall repair" The dealer claims this is normal for the car; however it certainly wasn't the norm at time of purchase. Additional problems have included faulty airbag sensors, faulty seat belt sensors, faulty starter, the list goes on. 6th new Ford in 13 yrs; sadly it's prob my last. Avoid this model.

Favorite Features

Back up camera is great; the optional sound system (Sony speakers) is an upgrade over the stock. Love the optional tire & wheel package 18" looks aftermarket very few on road like it. Great looking car!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problems now Improve build quality (bad mechanical components and switchgear is loose and breaking after 17 months) Improve service, Ford doesn't listen to the customer Improve quality of product

Fusion JUNK
By Fusion Junk

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had transmission troubles from day one. Ford gave me the runaround for 6 weeks until I sold it. Never buy a Ford product again!

2010 Fusion
By Doug

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is the first domestic car I have owned in 20 years. Ford got it right with this car. Build quality is great and no squeaks or rattles after 6000 miles. Got 34 mpg on a trip average around 26 in town Plenty of room for me at 6 ft tall and a little wider then i used to be. This is one of my the nicest cars I have had in a long time. Spend the extra money for the SEL the leather,heated seats and the vision package are well worth the money.The SYNC system is second to none. I have most of it figured out by now. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great value for your money. The 4 cylinder engine is a little loud at times but the better gas mileage is well worth the trade off.

Favorite Features

Sync blind spot assist backup camera

Suggested Improvements

wish you could open the windows and sunroof via the remote, rain sensing wipers would be nice

Auto transmission blows!
By dmdavis

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

As mentioned by many others, the automatic transmission on this car is horrible! Why can't these manufacturers leave well enough alone? The 6 speed doesn't provide any better gas mileage and makes the overall driving experience wretched. It hasn't left me stranded yet, but I expect that it will before too long. I like pretty much everything else about the car, although there are some "basics" (outside temp., auto headlights, etc.) that are missing. Will not buy again unless trans problems are fixed.

Favorite Features

Styling, audio system

Suggested Improvements

Return to 4- or 5-speed transmission, outside thermometer, auto headlights.

Horrible transmission!
By schmal

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

As the title of my review says, the 6- speed automatic transmission is horrible. It hangs between gears. There is a delay from when you step on the accelerator until you actually start moving. Downshifting is clunky and jerky. It feels as if they assigned the development of the trans to a fresh-out and forgot to watch what they were doing. That or they released the alpha version and forgot to go through the usual refinements, like every other automaker. This is unfortunate, since I do like other aspect of the car. Nice ride, good features, competitively priced. The trans is a deal breaker though, and I fully expect to have it fail me. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Look at other reviews with same issue!

Favorite Features

Sync is great. Nice ride, good handling. Attractive dash layout. Decent room.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is JUNK! I don't even want to bring it into the dealer yet, since all other reviews indicate any type of "fix" will either not fix it, or make it worse.

Transmission
By disappointed

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Transmission slips or clunks into gear. Recall did not fix problem. There are pages of Fusion owners on internet with same problem. My car is at dealers for the third time (counting recall) for this dangerous problem.

Favorite Features

Looks, mileage per gallon

Suggested Improvements

Replace faulty transmissions, do not use band aid solutions

Ford hit it out of the park
By Mike

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've been an account manager for 35 years and this Fusion SEL is my 25th company car and it's the best I've ever had...so much so that I plan to buy it when the lease is up. I got 31 MPG at 75 MPH on the interstate. The SYNC. leather heated seats, heated side views are wonderful. My only problem was a rattle in the back that ended up being a faulty set of trunk hinges. I really love this car and I'm very pleased that it's American

Favorite Features

MPG, Interior and exterior design, heated side views (I live in Upstate NY) leather

Suggested Improvements

The Climate controls are a bit to low a

Seat belt comfort sub par
By Wiggin

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought this car in may 2010. The car drives nicely. We bought the sel model fwd with charcoal black leather interior and sport blue metallic paint. We purchased the car with the blis system and the upgraded Sony stereo. The blind spot monitoring system is nice. A little sensitive but nice. The 3.0 v6 has good pickup and is quiet. I have two issues with this car. First, the fuel economy in city driving is abysmal. I only get 13 mpg in the city. The car only has 1100 miles on it though. The other issue I have is that the seat belt pinches my side when I buckle it. This makes for an uncomfortable ride. It is hard find a comfortable seating position.

Favorite Features

Sync, Blind Spot Monitoring, Backup Camera and Sony Stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seat belt insert higher. The seat belt insert sits pretty low to the seat and is pushed forward due to the aggressive seat bolsters. I sat in a Ford Focus and the seat belt did not pinch my side.

10,000 Mile Review
By 89lx5o

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have now owned my Fusion a year and a few months and I passed the 10,000 mile mark. Not one reliability issue to talk about. Still solid no rattles or issues. Over 10,000 miles and my meticulous records I have averaged 23.6 mpg and that is mixed driving (MOSTLY city). Quirk 1, I can't find a comfortable place to rest my left arm. The chair is back so far if I go to place my arm on the door arm rest I bump the B pillar. (I'm 6 ft 1"). Quirk 2, sometimes you have to reselect Ipod as the Sync chooses the phone bluetooth over the usb. Overall very comfortable and quiet ride, handles good and has solid feel. Again Ford out did the competition! I would absolutely buy again, A+ Ford!

Favorite Features

Sync system! Sony stereo! Quiet ride! SEL's standard leather heated seats. Easy to clean and durable materials (Paint and leather)

Suggested Improvements

More cushion on arm rests, remote key fob with push button start, select shift trans for 4 cylinder model, "eco boost" 4 cylinder!

Impressive fuel economy
By TL

2010 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the S with automatic due to dealer promotion. In test drive, it drove better than 2011 Sonata and costs a lot less. Just had 1500 km on it, seems a fuel sipper on the highway. I got 6 L/100 km highway (~40 MPG I believe, I am in Canada so we use metric), about 10-11 local. Driving is very smooth, hardly any engine or wind noise, although the road noise can be noticeable at highway speed. Only time will tell the reliability.

Favorite Features

message center displays real time fuel economy, athletic looks, decent interior material. Quiet on local. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should offer 5 year/100,000 km basic warranty like competitors do. Controls in the center stack are a bit too low, I have to look down to use them.