Used 2009 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Lacking indicators
By Doug Philippa

2009 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

No way of knowing your headlights are on or off No indicator to let you know cruise control is on only when you set it. No indicator to let you know that your sunroof is open even after vehicle is shut off.Left it open the 2nd day I owned the car and it rained that night! Loud vibrating & resonating when sun roof is open while driving over 55 MPH Only 2 speed selection on transmission, I like to downshift on downgrades- if you shift to low in this car you'll probably damage the transmission and your neck!

Very nice looking car, especially with the sport package.

Instead of giving me the "Disco Mood Lighting" on the interior lts. give me some indicator gauges & lights!

Very good car but...
By Lee McCormick

2009 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 2300 4 with a 5 speed stick shift. I'm past the age of caring much about speed, and it's fast enough for me. The tranny is a bit stiff going between 2nd and 3rd. It's fine if I shift at low rpm, but if I rap it out it frequently misses 3rd unless I double clutch it. I drive pretty sedately so it's not really a problem. My main complaint is about the fuel economy. I get all they claimed, but I know they could do much better. My last car was a 1998 Mercury Marquis with a 5.0 liter V8. It got at least as good gas mileage as my little Fusion. I think they are sand bagging. I think it should be getting at least 35-40 mpg on the highway, and that's without any fancy technology.

You should be able to get much better fuel efficiency. You also need to improve the manual transmission.

Impressive
By LastPatriot

2009 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After driving an Infiniti QX4 for some time, I was ready for a better fuel sadan w/o giving up the comforts of what I was used to. I had never really considered a Ford before because of past history but with the reviews on Comsumer Reports about reliability of the Fusion, I figured it was worth the look. So far, at 54K miles there has not been one problem and the comfort/quality is far beyond what I had come to expect from Ford. Fuel is about 18-20 in town and 29- 31.5 on the highway (about 70mph). Overall, the Fusion is an impressive car when considering the cost with what options Ford is offering. SYNC is a really nice touch.

Comfort, power driver-seat, SYNC, low- cost for ownership.

Most suggestions I would make have been updated for the 2010 version. Curses you Ford for waiting till the next year!!!

By Warren

2009 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car except for the uncomfortable seats and headrest. I also have a Taurus and Ford Freestyle and have never had a problem with seat comfort before this. The head rest (for my height at least) creates an uncomfortable angle, have turned the headrest around but this defeats the purpose of having it. Tough on the back after about an hour of driving, great for short trips. Mileage in the city o.k. at around 22.

Nice handling and fun to drive.

The seat and head rest need to have another option.

Great car
By Jeff in Dallas

2009 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car to replace a foreign sports sedan, and had a bit of trepidation because of that. However, the car has great pickup, handles well, and is extremely comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised about the amount of room inside - it is much bigger than it looks. The "SEL" series has enough luxury touches to make this seem like a much more expensive car. The only negative is that gas mileage (with the 6 cylinder engine) is not great - I average about 17 city, 21 mixed, 24 highway (although I've been told I have a lead foot)

Quietness, pickup, and handling are all good.

My car doesn't have a passenger side power seat. I don't think that was an option on the 2009. I would prefer to have that.

• SUV