Used 2009 Ford Fusion Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Fusion Sedan

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Best car i've ever owned hands down!
By captain_fluffy

2009 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 09 SE Fusion w/Sport Appearance package (18" low profile tire/wheels) with 23k miles on it. It was a lease out of Michigan and driven by some woman I can tell. It now has close to 70k on it, and it hasn't ever skipped a beat! I did get it stuck in the snow twice, so having FWD with no traction control can be a PITA, but other than that, the car is wonderful to drive. Handles corners beautifully, takes bumps just fine (even with the low profile tires). I'm personally 6'1" and I fit into it like a glove.

Favorite Features

The dependability, gas mileage, and ride.

Suggested Improvements

The sport seats with the suede inserts can be a little bit of a pain to keep clean from time to time, but overall very nice seats. The sound system suits me just fine, but i'm sure for some of the pop music loving crowd, the bass won't be enough to keep up. The 2.3L is a GREAT engine, but it can be a bit of a dog, especially if you're converting from a faster car. It does pretty good to get out of it's own way, but it is in no way shape or form a fast car. The gas mileage is great for a fairly large mid-size car though.

Help, I have fallen and can't get up.......
By nissandave

2009 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

09 Ford Fusion SE 2.4, Auto Bought new 9/13/08 Owned for 95k miles: Water pump out (30k miles) Starter 2 batteries Drive belt Power steering pump/fluid Oil leak/valve cover AC compressor issues Transmission fluid burns up transmission after 85k miles (manual calls for fluid change @ 150k miles) Transmission solenoid CD deck not ejecting discs Trouble code renders car un-driveable after battery change (similar known issue with 2010 models which Ford refuses recall on) 2.3 lacks power 2.3 gets horrid MPG, much less than EPA estimates Very little rear view visibility No transmission mode indicator on dashboard Constant "hissing" noise (vacuum leak) nobody could find

Favorite Features

Excellent design, roomy interior, good interior build quality, and excellent ergonomics in interior

Suggested Improvements

Never resurrect the Pinto engine again! Use quality tranny fluid or change maintenance interval for fluid change to 50k miles. Lower rear deck to promote better and needed rear view visibility. Ford already buys transmissions from Nissan. Perhaps Ford should start buying motors from Nissan. A Nissan motor would have been a huge improvement to this car, as well as a Nissan transmission. Use only regular metal jacket oil filters, not the cartridge type filters. Improve the bottom underside panel that is not DIY friendly. The spaces for the access doors to the old filter and oil drain plug warp too easily over time and the access doors will not fit properly.

Enjoy the car, but...
By jmrichards

2009 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

While the exterior aesthetics of the car are great, and I get lots of compliments on my car, I do have some concerns with the quality of the products they used in this car. The door handles are cheap and are a fake chrome-tape that peels. I already have had to have 3 of the 4 replaced and the car isn't even 5 years old yet! The windshield spray nozzel leaks and has destroyed the clear-coat on the hood. Despite the age of the car and warranty, Ford has refused to fix them. I have written to them multiple times and always get a B.S. answer. They do not stand behind their product. Having owned Fords before & for the money, I expected better. Very disappointed & I won't buy a Ford again.

Favorite Features

Exterior look. Runs smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Don't put cheap parts on the car that break and then refuse to fix them.

Still Excellent
By mtnman1

2009 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I posted an initial review on this car back in 11/08. I now have driven it 34,000 miles and still love it. Very reliable. No problems whatsover and zero rattles after 3 years. Seats are about the most comfortable that I have ever sat in. Handles great. I have been running as high as 29 mpg on the Highway, but city can be a bit low at 17 mpg at times. Just an all around great car and I would buy it again.

Favorite Features

Leather Seats. Audiophile Stereo. Sirius Satellite (Renewed 3 times since initial 6 months), Sunroof, Sync, and Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a bit more sound dampening from some road noise. It is only bad over concrete highways without blacktop. Just about all roads have a layer of blacktop which this car glides across.

Excellent Car!!
By reblehn

2009 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for a month now, by far this is my favorite car I have ever had! I am really REALLY glad that I gave Ford a chance and went to their dealership. Everything went very smoothly in purchasing my car, if you live in MN in the metro area, please go to Coon Rapids North Country Ford, they are AWESOME! :-) My whole family fits in this car comfortably (two teenage sons over 16 and one 11 yr old girl). I absolutely love the Sync system, my kids are always asking me to call someone. Everything inside and out is very stylish! I recommend to everyone!

Favorite Features

My favorite features is the cars color and style on the outside and inside I love the Sync system. Very comfortable seats! Warms up very quickly in the winter (a must this year!)

Suggested Improvements

None!