2008 Ford Fusion 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Disappointing Performance

2008 Ford Fusion - Consumer Review

Disappointing Performance
By GingerDay on

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have used the car to commute 50 miles to Boston everyday. I anticipated the lack of power from my Olds Intrigue, but nothing like what I have experienced. The car has difficulty shifting our of first gear when it's cold (engine cold, not weather cold). When slowing from 65 miles an hour to negotiate toll boothes, the speed up is jerky and loud. When braking on exit ramps and having to merge, the same performance, it chokes on acceleration. I drove a Mazda 6, also a 4 cyl 5 speed, and its pep and response far outweighs the Fusion. I'm afraid to take the car far from home, it randomly just wont shift out of first gear easily when you need power to move forward from a stop.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a lighted key ring around the ignition switch. The rear brake light in the back window blocks the view of the driver behind you. Radio control on the steering wheel should be standard. Put the Mazda 4 cyl 5 speed engine in the Fusion-it gets the same good gas mileage, but with more pep.