2008 Ford Fusion SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2008 Fusion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Sort Reviews by

Surprisingly Happy!
By Very Pleased

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2008 4-cylinder Fusion in February, 2008 - owned it 1 year and 4 months. Coming from an 8-cylinder Explorer, I am surprised at how pleased I am with a 4-cylinder. Although it does rev up pretty high to get up any speed, it does get up there quickly, and I have no problems keeping up with anyone on the highway. I have not had the first problem with this car. On a trip to FL, got 31 mpg. Can't beat that!

Favorite Features

Size, sun roof, 6-changer CD player. Nice extras for the cost, as compared to other sedans we looked at.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Hope she's not totaled!
By Christine

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 Fusion in October of last year and I love it more and more every day. It's an amazing car! I opted for the Sport Appearance Package with the 18" wheels and upgraded suspension. It is such a classy looking car, I have people asking me all the time, "What kind of car is that?" or my favorite, "That's a Ford???" It handles beautifully, much better than my last two Focuses. Unfortunately, I was broadsided in it this weekend by a driver going at least 40-45 mph. My Fusion kept myself and my passenger from being seriously injured. 10 for Safety! I'm hoping my insurance company decides she's a keeper and they opt to repair her! If not, I will definitely pick up an '09 Fusion!

Favorite Features

Sync, Power everything, stereo, wheels, red stitching, leather seats, I love everything on this car!

Suggested Improvements

Difficult to see out back window when reversing.

Hopefully a new direction for Ford
By kfnavitas

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So I am writing this as a new buyer and plan to add to...as I progress with the car. So far the vehicle has performed well and gets very good gas mileage for it's size. Build quality is quite good for Ford seeing am used to my families Volvo's and Audi's. The only bothersome thing with this car is it has seemingly NO torque... I have to push the car to at least past 1500 to get it to move...anyway the car is nice on the highway and easily the best part is the quality of the ride and almost non-existent body roll, steering is quick and responsive...as I said I plan to keep adding as the miles add on...good job Ford US (uk models are much better)I never thought i would be saying that...

Favorite Features

Very easy to use internal controls, 6 disc changer and wheel controls. Excellent ride and steering, styling is unique and different than every other mid-sized sedan out today...

Suggested Improvements

A diesel option in America please...or give the gas engine a little more oomph...then again I have the 4cyl and have never tried the 6cyl, they could be quite different...seats are way to thin in the SE model...

Great Car!
By Happy Owner

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend this vehicle to whomever wants to be pleased with their purchase and price. I have had no problems with this car and love driving it. I've gone on a few long trips and had a nice, comfortable drive. It rides very smooth. I get really good gas mileage 25 in town and 33 on the highway. Go out and get this car if you are questioning it.

Favorite Features

I love how it handles and the stereo rocks.

Suggested Improvements

I have none at this time.

So far so good
By John

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my first new car after nearly 40 years behind the wheel to take advantage of bargains. Found the Fusion to be a good fit when gussied up with a moon roof. Very well handling as two deer can testify in my first week of driving it. I expected better gas mileage than 22.5, but it gets 30 on the interstates. Overall, this is a reason I will go to Ford first when buying my next car. My previous experiences with GM and Chrysler had me looking across the ocean for my next car; a serious problem for a union man and economic nationalist.

Favorite Features

Sync is fine. Car handles well and is very comfortable for a mid size car. A very good looking car with high marks for reliability. Ford may be the savior of the US auto industry.

Suggested Improvements

I can not believe that they put no light for the back seat. When I leave something on the back seat and need to find it at night, it is really hard to find, especially with a black interior. For about $5.00, Ford could have added this small comfort.

Superb all-around car
By 1cewolf

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had my eye on the new Malibu, but after looking it over in person I was a little disappointed. It was expensive, even used, and it felt unpolished in certain aspects. The Fusion I ended up buying came out to only $14k after taxes and trade-in (my old banged-up '99 Cavalier) and has the Sport Appearance package w/black & red leather seats, Moon & Tune package, Sync, auto-dimming rear mirror, and rear parking sensors...and only 7,000 miles. It's got a 5/5 JD Power reliability rating, so assuming that everything holds up, I'm convinced that the Fusion is one of the best values around. The Sport Appearance Package gives it an aggressive, masculine look that I really like.

Favorite Features

Ride is quiet, sporty w/o being too rough, and it's so much fun to drive. Exterior is slick and sophisticated. Interior is roomy and comfortable, love the seats. Stereo sounds great. SYNC rocks and Ford's going to keep releasing stuff for it for free! Parking assist makes things much easier.

Suggested Improvements

More horses in the 4-banger; it's certainly gets the job done but could be stronger. Rear visibility with spoiler is limited, so I recommend getting the rear parking sensors to compensate. Replace low tire pressure alert with tire pressure monitoring system like the Malibu.

Chevy man converted
By truckinkjm

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Ford and I must say this is the most trouble free new car I've ever had. But first let me point out a few things that bother me a little. First I find the headroom is too low. I'm 5' 10" and my head is about a inch and 1/2 from the roof. No standard auto headlights, no standard outside temp, no standard traction control. The headlight switch down too low on the dash and so are fan and temp. switches. But that aside this is a great car very reliable and fun to drive. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, sound system, smooth transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More headroom, more standard equipment, more 4 cyl. power

Great Ford
By bas

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. No problems so far. Good fuel economy. Responsive engine with 5 speed manual. Handling is superb. Why waste several thousand more on a Toyota or Honda?

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Averaging 29mpg with 70% highway 30% city. Very comfortable interior. Excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

5 speed manual is geared a little low in 5th gear-good for hilly country roads but a bit too much gear for the interstate. Original tires are awful in the snow.

It's a Ford!
By Glueman

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought dealer loaner car used with low miles and certified for 6 years. Have driven as a rental. This is the best car we have ever own in 30 years. Looked at all cars that compete with Fusion. This car compares well and is priced lower than anything else except Hyundai on price. Reliability is rated very high and no major recalls. Go easy on gas petal and the Fusion does amazingly well on gas, up to 35mpg on freeway! 4 cyl. more than enough to get this midsized car going. Love it! When it's time to replace my 01' VW Golf I'll be looking at the Fusion hybrid in the future.

Favorite Features

SE nicely equipped. Comfortable, quiet & excellent ride. Steering wheel mounted controls. Telescoping steering wheel. understated dashboard is clean and uncluttered. Great stock stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spots take a little bit to get use to. Mounting place for GPS other than windshield. Blinker stock could be lower. Standard splash guards would be nice.

What can I say? I'm totally impressed!
By ccf

2008 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My partner has a 07 Accord and was very skeptical when I insisted on buying this car. Now, he's wanting to borrow my car to run errands! Overall quality is wonderful, the SYNC is great, and it has a much better ride than his Accord. The best part? Dependability! His Accord has been in the shop seven times in the past year, twice within the first month, the back window and cruise control stopped working. And the very best part? The deal! 0% interest and financed for only 36 months, my payment is still under $550 and in 3 years she's all mine! His Accord is financed for five years and still has a higher payment with fewer features at 4.5% and we both have great credit!

Favorite Features

SYNC, trunk space, ride quality, dependability.

Suggested Improvements

The I4 automatic is a bit sluggish but I can live with it. I'm driving, not qualifying!