Used 2008 Ford Fusion S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Fusion

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome Car!
By Allan

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Ford has built a great car. I also own a 2005 Honda Accord, and the quality of the fusion is the same or better. You get more standard equipment for the price compared to the competition. Definitely consider the Ford Fusion if you are in the market to purchase a mid-size family car.

Favorite Features

Excellent brakes, tire pressure monitor, no wind noise and low engine noise.

Suggested Improvements

None

Nice surprise from US brand auto
By bruceocala

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in May. I thought I'd buy Camry again, but got this Fusion w/automatic trans. It was cheaper than Camry and frankly fit me - a big guy - like a glove. So far, smart move. It has some dumb little design annoyances, but the conveniences outweigh them. It's as economical and reliable as a Camry, offering more space in leg room, overhead, front area storage, back seat seating, and a huge trunk. The handling on turns is like a race car, yet the turning radius getting into a parking space is poor; always an extra maneuver for a tight spot.

Favorite Features

Even this no frills model has AUX plug inside console box for iPod. It has all the features I wanted. Great AC for me in FL. Like I said above, cornering is just awesome, better than son's Scion tC. Lots of varied and generous storage. I get 25-27mpg in mixed city-highway driving. Once at 5th gear, it sails along with very low RPMs. Highway runs about 30+mpg - great car if you do mostly highway driving. Solid and consistent with no mechanical issues in my 12k miles; now car has almost 50k. At 6'5" 250lbs 55yo, I'm very comfy. I really like this car.

Suggested Improvements

Yes, 4 cyl is underpowered, especially compared to Camry, but I've adapted. I'm sure 6cyl is better but don't make it a requirement. You'll do fine with 4cyl. Yes, it's a bit loud; engine noise and at high speeds. Not that it's a real problem, but you will wish you could get a bit more volume from the stereo sometimes. Yes, it's got a weird left handedness and other quirky designs. I'm used to headlights and wiper control on the column sticks. Not here; only one column stick w/wipers only, plus push forward hi-beams. Headlight dial is on lower left dash. I'm always turning on wipers when I want lights. The complaints are minor. Ford Fusion is aces on the major items.

ok
By cpletan

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i average 27 both city/highway and its ok to drive. but the temp sensor is screwy throws engine lite.

Suggested Improvements

fix temp sensor and low tire light needs better sign.

Disappointing Performance
By GingerDay

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have used the car to commute 50 miles to Boston everyday. I anticipated the lack of power from my Olds Intrigue, but nothing like what I have experienced. The car has difficulty shifting our of first gear when it's cold (engine cold, not weather cold). When slowing from 65 miles an hour to negotiate toll boothes, the speed up is jerky and loud. When braking on exit ramps and having to merge, the same performance, it chokes on acceleration. I drove a Mazda 6, also a 4 cyl 5 speed, and its pep and response far outweighs the Fusion. I'm afraid to take the car far from home, it randomly just wont shift out of first gear easily when you need power to move forward from a stop.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a lighted key ring around the ignition switch. The rear brake light in the back window blocks the view of the driver behind you. Radio control on the steering wheel should be standard. Put the Mazda 4 cyl 5 speed engine in the Fusion-it gets the same good gas mileage, but with more pep.

A College Student's Saving Grace
By Ben

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As a college student, I need something reliable and economic to get me from home to school. A 158K 1999 Explorer wouldn't cut it, so I received the family Fusion after it was replaced by a 2010 Mustang V6. One word really sums up the Fusion: UNEXPECTED. Perhaps it was the change from an SUV to a sedan, but I have been duly impressed. You wouldn't think a 160 HP FWD sedan would really pack a punch, but the Fusion can go in a hurry if you wanted it to. This car has been so much fun to drive, I've been having a hard time maxing out the mileage, which has been as high as 31 HWY/MPG. The 56,000 miles without any repairs has also minimized expenditures, making this Fusion a big win for me.

Favorite Features

Black leather seats with red inserts, 18" alloy wheels (this is all with the sports appearance package). Great factory sound system. Throttle response, crisp shifter (5-speed manual), quick pedals. Above all, a fun car to drive!

Suggested Improvements

While the seats are comfortable and stylish, the rest of the interior is covered with PLASTIC! It all LOOKS nice, but after driving for a while, you will hear the plastic pieces rubbing against each other. Very annoying. But, that's what music's for, right?