Used 2008 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Fusion

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Hopefully a new direction for Ford
By kfnavitas

2008 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So I am writing this as a new buyer and plan to add to...as I progress with the car. So far the vehicle has performed well and gets very good gas mileage for it's size. Build quality is quite good for Ford seeing am used to my families Volvo's and Audi's. The only bothersome thing with this car is it has seemingly NO torque... I have to push the car to at least past 1500 to get it to move...anyway the car is nice on the highway and easily the best part is the quality of the ride and almost non-existent body roll, steering is quick and responsive...as I said I plan to keep adding as the miles add on...good job Ford US (uk models are much better)I never thought i would be saying that...

Favorite Features

Very easy to use internal controls, 6 disc changer and wheel controls. Excellent ride and steering, styling is unique and different than every other mid-sized sedan out today...

Suggested Improvements

A diesel option in America please...or give the gas engine a little more oomph...then again I have the 4cyl and have never tried the 6cyl, they could be quite different...seats are way to thin in the SE model...

Reinstated my faith in American cars.
By hobbie2k

2008 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A true American competitor to the import mid-sizers. And Ford only needed to borrow a Mazda platform to make it happen. The car is roomy, comfortable, has decent material and build quality (though there are a few warts), and is somewhat fun to drive with a manual transmission. It doesn't beg to be driven hard like an Altima, and isn't as refined as the Accord, but still drives good and looks great. SYNC is a brilliant system, but I am having issues using a thumb drive to store music that Ford can't seem to solve. The engine is smooth and revs well, but it feels a little underpowered and is a little bit too noisy at highway speeds. My mileage is 27mpg mixed.

Favorite Features

The SYNC system is brilliant; the manual tranny is fun, but a little vague; great style, inside and out; smooth engine; well equipped; good ride/handling balance; climate control is very clear and intuitive, but mounted too low in the console.

Suggested Improvements

More power; quieter at 75mph; needs a little bit more headroom and/or more seat adjustment; needs rear cupholders; stereo is not easy to use and stereo display isn't very helpful; needs DRLs; climate controls should be higher; this is mostly nit-picking, though.

Disappointing Performance
By GingerDay

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have used the car to commute 50 miles to Boston everyday. I anticipated the lack of power from my Olds Intrigue, but nothing like what I have experienced. The car has difficulty shifting our of first gear when it's cold (engine cold, not weather cold). When slowing from 65 miles an hour to negotiate toll boothes, the speed up is jerky and loud. When braking on exit ramps and having to merge, the same performance, it chokes on acceleration. I drove a Mazda 6, also a 4 cyl 5 speed, and its pep and response far outweighs the Fusion. I'm afraid to take the car far from home, it randomly just wont shift out of first gear easily when you need power to move forward from a stop.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a lighted key ring around the ignition switch. The rear brake light in the back window blocks the view of the driver behind you. Radio control on the steering wheel should be standard. Put the Mazda 4 cyl 5 speed engine in the Fusion-it gets the same good gas mileage, but with more pep.

Great Car!
By Happy Owner

2008 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend this vehicle to whomever wants to be pleased with their purchase and price. I have had no problems with this car and love driving it. I've gone on a few long trips and had a nice, comfortable drive. It rides very smooth. I get really good gas mileage 25 in town and 33 on the highway. Go out and get this car if you are questioning it.

Favorite Features

I love how it handles and the stereo rocks.

Suggested Improvements

I have none at this time.

Awesome Car!
By Allan

2008 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Ford has built a great car. I also own a 2005 Honda Accord, and the quality of the fusion is the same or better. You get more standard equipment for the price compared to the competition. Definitely consider the Ford Fusion if you are in the market to purchase a mid-size family car.

Favorite Features

Excellent brakes, tire pressure monitor, no wind noise and low engine noise.

Suggested Improvements

None