2006 Ford Fusion S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2006 Fusion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Sort Reviews by

This is no toy car
By Don Casey

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a car for driving enthusiasts who enjoy quiet comfort in a performance car. This is a car for experienced drivers. When you hit the gas you can burn rubber to your heart's delight. Acceleration is fast, very fast. Passing other cars is a breeze. Road noise is non-existent below 40 MPH or so. Over 40 MPH and you only get the tires bumping over road defects. If not for those there would be no noise. The car is simply beautiful. Fit and trim inside and out is perfect. The interior is stylish (not the same old plastic imitation burled walnut) and the doors and dash are a unique leather design. The Monsoon stereo with the 6 CD in dash in is simply awesome. To drive it is to buy.

Favorite Features

Monsoon 6CD in dash stereo with six or eight speakers. Trunk hardware doesn't detract from trunk space. Lighted everything including puddle mirrors. Heated seats and heated mirrors, auto dimming rearview mirror, sporty leather seats, dash layout, media, stereo, heat, fan, cruise on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Small LED to light center console. Electric seat back adjustment. A little more head room.

Drive the Ford Fusion and you'll buy it!
By Virginia Volunteer

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Had read many reviews and heard about the Ford Fusion for months before I actually saw one or drove one. Test drove an I-4 (4-cylinder) SE with a 5 speed manual and really liked it, but wanted more options and to test a V-6 before buying. Drove a V-6 SEL in the rain ... got to try out acceleration and braking in less than ideal conditions. Wow -- knew this was the car I wanted. Waited for just the right color/options. It's an SEL with every possible option Ford puts in the Fusion and still only around $26K MSRP. People confuse it with an Acura until they see the big blue Ford oval! Very happy and I didn't have to pay $35-40K either. It turns a lot of heads and most can't believe it's a FORD!

Favorite Features

Lots of room for a mid-size; tight/sure handling; very quite inside w/little road noise; great new style; plenty of trunk room; peppy V6, and a killer sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Needs some additional features added to options list: reverse sensors, folding side (rear) mirrors, navigation system, and satellite radio. How about a NASCAR special or Roush edition with a V-8 AND a manual transmission?

Fords Best Car
By rizer

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Ford has come through with an awesome car. I traded in a Taurus for the Fusion. Actually went to buy Five Hundred and test drove Fusion and was hooked. Every time I drive i get people asking me what kind of car is that. Everyone thinks it is a Mercedes or Cadillac and it costs far less. Best car I have ever driven and everyone that has seen it says they want one; awesome car.

Favorite Features

Interior awesome styling, front of car with grill and headlights looks awesome. Black leather with lighter stitching looks awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Would like more power but it still goes ok. Chrome rims would look great with chrome on car.

another poor design by grandmas at Ford
By jman

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car and at first it had that cachet that made me buy it. I should of taken it for a longer test drive. Every time I got into the car something else would be missing on it. A cover, or cap. This car feels very plastic; something my son should be driving around in my front yard. The nimble effect it had when I first bought it turned into mushy handling.

Favorite Features

Six-speed automatic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Completely rebuild this vehicle. Put some real car people in the design room and get my Grandma and Grandpa out of there.

SUPERIOR CAR for its class!
By Paratrooperwife

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

OH MY GOODNESS, this car is just awesome! I traded my Chevy for this and what a difference. I've got the SEL V6 and it's really got a lot of power. I love the leather seats, heated, and the body is so sleek. Ford really thought of all the details inside and out. Great viability and handling. Heck, they even paid extra attention to the details in the manual - now that's impressive.

Favorite Features

Favorite is the awesome body style - no lines on the exterior. So classy, yet a bit sporty but not too much for me. Handles SO WELL on the snow and the regular weather. The attention to details both in and out are something to take notice of. Ford really did their homework for this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I have no suggested improvements - even the pricing is perfect, which nowadays is hard to come by.

Great Car
By JoeCool

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I considered buying the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Nissan Altima; however I found all three of those to offer shortcomings. The Honda Accord's styling I found odd and ugly, the Toyota Camry's responses I found to be dull and slothful, and the Nissan Altima's ride was harsh and its styling looking too much like something a boy-racer would want. Then I saw the Fusion. It looked classy and sophisticated - a few people on the street thought it was a BMW until they saw the badge on the front. The car handles great, has great pep, and best of all the interior is genuinely useful - great car.

Favorite Features

Powertrain, suspension, fit and finish (awesome, better than the Honda I drove), soft-touch materials, style, price.

Suggested Improvements

Climate controls are a little low - but the redundant controls on the steering wheel are awesome.

Head Turner "Is that a Cadillac?"
By FUSION FUN

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the Fusion from a Ford dealer that sold it to me based on the invoice price and not the MSRP, which was $2000 more dollars. I got a top of the line silver SEL minus some features. The only features mine didn't come with is the ABS with traction assist and side safety airbags. Though, it does have the leather and moonroof along with seat warmers. The car is exceptional to drive. It handles very sporty and holds hard cornering great. It has a potent 221 horsepower v-6 that has good start out power but better midrange passing. It does all of this without compromising a nice and quiet ride. It beats my buddies 2004 Toyota Solara in all categories. Definitely worth a test drive.

Favorite Features

The styling is great. It looks like a Cadillac CTS from the front, a Volvo from the side, and an Audi from the rear. It has a high build quality with rich glossy plastics. It is roomy, (I am 6'5'' and 290 pounds) and gets decent gas mileage. I bought this car over a Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Suggested Improvements

First of all, do not buy this car without ABS. I have locked up the front tires on two occasions in wet weather. Second, the transmission was designed by VOLVO, but it shifts rather "clunky sometimes," maybe because its a six speed and a class exclusive and a new design.

Great family car
By green2go

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Everything about this car is tight, and I mean that in a good way -- firm, responsive steering, awesome braking, no squeaks or rattles, fun to drive! So far, getting about 28 mpg on highway and 22 in town ... in a truly spacious sedan. My family loves it. New (at least to me) features like self-dimming rear view mirror work really well. Feels like a luxury car to me, at really good price!

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet powertrain, great handling, classy interior. Controls/displays are very well laid out and intuitive. Very comfortable seats, great room in back seat and trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window is a bit small. With camel interior, there's reflections on it, so visibility seems like it's not great. However, between the three mirrors you can see what you need to see.

New Ford Fusion a winner
By rodonn

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Really a great car and Ford should do well with it. Very quiet and smooth running vehicle. Easy to get in and out. Very comfortable seats. The audio system is awesome and the climate control system is great. Really a well thought out car and my wife and I love it. There is a little annoying rattle and my dealer has promised to fix that.

Favorite Features

All the automatic features, the message center and the 6 CD player.

Suggested Improvements

A little better rear visibility.

Fast, Sporty, Fun and Affordable!!
By Ron C

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

What a fantastically enjoyable car. Turns heads, great performance and handling, super gas mileage, and great ergonomic layout and comfortable cabin. Most fun car I have owned in years.. Not the same old, same old uninspiring Honda's or Toyotas that fill the cookie-cutter neighborhoods. Great value for this well laid out, great performing and solid vehicle. Ford has really pulled together the strength of Ford, Mazda and Volvo on this offering. I've had only for one very exciting month, but really love this car.

Favorite Features

Styling, driver ergonomics, Premium stereo/6CD/MP3 player, airbags for all seats, handling, smooth ride, quiet, truly unique look, and deep rich paint.

Suggested Improvements

There may be some, but I have yet to find them. Not at all what I would have expected for the first year of the offering, but I recognize this was based on the solid Mazda6, so that may have given the Fusion a great place to start.