Used 2006 Ford Fusion Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Good Car
By Samantha

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2006 ford fusion about 5 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. The car got me there and back a few places in Michigan. The only thing I have replaced on my car is tires, breaking, window regulator and oil changes. My check engine light comes on but i never had any problems with the car. The shifting in the car when it takes off fast because not coming to a complete stop it jumps or when it is cold. I have noticed that the 1st gear RPMs go to about 4 or 5 before shifting to 2nd. I have one slow oil leak that i have been putting Pennzoil high mileage oil in it to keep the leak slow. I changed the transmission fluid and it still seems to run the same. With Michigan weather good tires would be good to have but it gets through snow alright with cheap tires. The door handles are cheap and break and peal. My mileage now on my car is 135,000 and it still brings me there and back to different places in Michigan. It is a very good car that doesn't need much maintenance besides oil changes, tires and breaks. Very good car.

This is the best car I've ever owned
By Keith

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car at 34,000 in 2009. At the time I was a service technician and had to use my own car. Before the end of the 2 year mark I had put over 100,000 miles on this thing. I live in Ohio and drove this car to the Carolinas and Virginia beach annually, including a 24 hour straight drive to Texas and 24 hours straight back 3 days later and never felt worried about making it home. My point is, I beat up my vehicles and this has been a beast. AC failed around the 140,000 mark (didn't bother fixing it), I replaced the thermostat and drive belt at 150,000, at 210,000 the radiator and transmission cooler lines were replaced, driver side window regulator at 215,000 and now at 217,000 the transmission valve body needs to be replaced so I'm reluctantly trading it in before I press my luck any further. I can't talk much about labor cost because I do most of my own work, but replacement part costs aren't terrible (except the valve body). And even with the age of the car its still averaging 27mpg! My biggest cons are the cheap plastic door handles and the radio display has bad soldering causing it to blank out. Basically very minor things. Ford bought my favor back from GM with this car.

whoa tranny
By GiGi

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer Beware of transmission. Car has been excellent up until tranny just started going haywire all at once with no warning. Seen complaint after complaint about transmission and seems to be a defect that Ford will not acknowledge.

Been the perfect car
By textfree101

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought ours brand new in 2006, it was a demo vehicle so it already had 3,000 miles on it, it is now 2015 and our car only has 80,000 miles on it, just had its first tune up, THESE FUSIONS NEED A TUNE UP BEFORE 100,000 MILES OTHERWISE SERIOUS PROBLEMS MAY OCCUR, we had friends who learned that the hard way. this car is only the 4-cylinder model but it doesn't seem as slow as everyone makes it out to be, and its been unbelievably reliable, only needed regular maintenance and a sense that had to be replaced at about 50,000 miles. Perfect midsized car.

Insane Shift Controller
By mpence

2006 Ford Fusion Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the car used in 2009 with about 32K miles. It's been great mostly. But the transmission behavior leaves a lot to be desired. Normally, it shifts smoothly, but there are 3 quirks that drive me mad. Downshifting, it will slam violently into 1st gear at about 45 mph. Part-throttle acceleration - enough to cause a more than 1 gear downshift - the trans again slams in and out of 1st gear, causing a violent bucking. Not much fun trying to merge onto a freeway! A few times when the previous occurred, the trans just goes out of gear. Have to let it coast, shift either to Neutral or First gear, then it resumes normal driving. The electronic shift controller must be insane!

Love the ride and handling, other than the transmission (see above). Reliability has been extremely good - no significant issues (again except the trans). Mileage is good. Climate control is great.

Put in a transmission that behaves properly. I'd suggest that 6 gears are too many. Add a manual shift option (available on some later versions). Replace the automatic-dimming rear view mirror with a manual one. Mine won't dim at all.

• SUV