2006 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:
Insane Shift Controller
By mpence on 09/03/14 12:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the car used in 2009 with about 32K miles. It's been great mostly. But the transmission behavior leaves a lot to be desired. Normally, it shifts smoothly, but there are 3 quirks that drive me mad. Downshifting, it will slam violently into 1st gear at about 45 mph. Part-throttle acceleration - enough to cause a more than 1 gear downshift - the trans again slams in and out of 1st gear, causing a violent bucking. Not much fun trying to merge onto a freeway! A few times when the previous occurred, the trans just goes out of gear. Have to let it coast, shift either to Neutral or First gear, then it resumes normal driving. The electronic shift controller must be insane!

Eh.. it was okay.
By dscarchick on 07/18/14 16:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We got this car used after our bankruptcy discharged. We aren't big fans of Ford but I must say it proved to be a very reliable car. We only owned it for 2 years but we never had any big issues. Cosmetically, little things fell apart like the paint on the shifter peeled off. Also the cd player ate cd's which I hear was a problem in a lot of Fords not just Fusion's. One of the interior back door locks stopped working one day as well and the dealer said it would be over $200 to fix so we just lived with it. For a mid sized car it delivered and did what it was supposed to do. It's not a sports car but if you want a point a to b and occasionally c, it's a decent buy.

Great car but...
By maxima155 on 02/13/14 13:04 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used in 2006 with 1,200 miles on the OD. For the first three years car was brilliant. No problems, just routine maintenance, brakes, oil changes, ect. Ride was excellent and the seats are extremely comfortable and well trimmed. In 2010, we had a few problems with the engine, but was covered under an extended warranty. Service engine soon light would come off and on. Also problems with charging system. In 2013, the car reached around 96,000 miles and started to develop some transmission problems. Dealer inspected the car and would not be a cheap fix since the extended warranty had ended. Decided to trade the car in and avoid major repairs in the future.

Serious Engine problems
By fusionowner05 on 04/24/13 12:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1 month after I purchased my used Ford Fusion I had to replace the entire engine due to there being NO OIL in my engine...?? They couldn't find out where it's going or what is wrong with it. My warranty that I purchased covered the replacement with another used engine...I kept up with repairs and oil changes. 1.5yrs later it is devoid of oil AGAIN, and I am told I need another new engine...?? I'm done with the car, and have began seeking legal counsel since the Ford Dealership won't do anything for me. Suggestions about this situation is welcome!

Transmission issues
By calninja1969 on 02/10/13 03:58 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased car used, it look brand new inside out, after first day the transmission started to slip so dealership put in a new transmission, I got the car back after a week in the shop and drove the car for about a week and started smelling transmission fluid, so I look under car and noticed transmission fluid leaking and bottom of car covered in fluid, so car is going back to dealership for repairs once again and will let you know in about a week when I get the car back.

update to i want to love it again
By mom2de on 02/07/13 07:47 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

car had 6 oil leaks. couldn't find issue with the transmission, airbag light "fixed". got car back Tuesday, was back in this am because of tranny light on again and airbag light. airbag kit needs to be replaced, not covered by warranty, and dealer can't find the issue with the powertrain/transmission light. word to wise, do not by a first year make/model of any kind. so my car will continue to skip and buck until I can find the right mechanic I guess! good luck!

I want to love it again!
By mom2de on 01/31/13 19:35 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car 10 months ago after searching for 4 months for a car we liked and could afford. I read the reviews and saw the tranny flags go up!Take extended warranty. About 5-6 months ago I called the dealer to say our car was dry on oil.I won't even get into that dealership on here. Last week my car was bucking and shifting hard! Powertrain/transmission light came on and went off. Got it into dealership! 5 oil leaks! Needs a control arm as well. Thankful we took out the extended warranty because it now sits at shop with expensive repairs. Dealer says that's why it was bucking. Well we will see when I get it back.I am told by people oil leaks won't cause transmission to buck! we'll see

good car good mpg
By cde5151 on 01/14/13 09:28 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car for last 3+ years, never been in shop, except for tires I change my own oil, fan is loud but normal for fusion. good ride .. tires all wore out by 36k, now have Nexen tires, they seem ok at 55k. I did just put in battery also. MPG average 28 with 70% hwy and 30% city

Blew the engine...
By darin4 on 12/07/12 05:22 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at a public auction four months ago. Car was mint, inside and out, you could have eaten off the engine. Consumer reports labeled it a "good bet". Don't be fooled like I was by consumer reports. The car had 98,000 kms when I bought it. Blew the engine at 106,000 kms. Replaced the engine with a new one. I now have 111,000 kms. on the car and this new engine is going through oil the same as the first one did before it blew. If you have this vehicle, keep an eye on the dipstick. Update to may last post, titled "Blew the Engine", which was last night. Guess what, the second engine has blown. I'm gonna keep this short, STAY AWAY FROM THE FUSION. JUNK...Plain ans simple.

2006 Ford Fusion SE FWD 4cyclinder SUCKS
By mogulprinceton on 09/25/12 16:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car doesn't come with any safety features at all the ABS,Traction Control and Side Air Bags all come in a package group. Electronic Stability Control isnt even a option at all. Handles well but could handle better if it had Electronic Stability Control.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.