Used 2006 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Fusion - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Fusion

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Been the perfect car
By textfree101

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought ours brand new in 2006, it was a demo vehicle so it already had 3,000 miles on it, it is now 2015 and our car only has 80,000 miles on it, just had its first tune up, THESE FUSIONS NEED A TUNE UP BEFORE 100,000 MILES OTHERWISE SERIOUS PROBLEMS MAY OCCUR, we had friends who learned that the hard way. this car is only the 4-cylinder model but it doesn't seem as slow as everyone makes it out to be, and its been unbelievably reliable, only needed regular maintenance and a sense that had to be replaced at about 50,000 miles. Perfect midsized car.

Insane Shift Controller
By mpence

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the car used in 2009 with about 32K miles. It's been great mostly. But the transmission behavior leaves a lot to be desired. Normally, it shifts smoothly, but there are 3 quirks that drive me mad. Downshifting, it will slam violently into 1st gear at about 45 mph. Part-throttle acceleration - enough to cause a more than 1 gear downshift - the trans again slams in and out of 1st gear, causing a violent bucking. Not much fun trying to merge onto a freeway! A few times when the previous occurred, the trans just goes out of gear. Have to let it coast, shift either to Neutral or First gear, then it resumes normal driving. The electronic shift controller must be insane!

Favorite Features

Love the ride and handling, other than the transmission (see above). Reliability has been extremely good - no significant issues (again except the trans). Mileage is good. Climate control is great.

Suggested Improvements

Put in a transmission that behaves properly. I'd suggest that 6 gears are too many. Add a manual shift option (available on some later versions). Replace the automatic-dimming rear view mirror with a manual one. Mine won't dim at all.

Eh.. it was okay.
By dscarchick

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We got this car used after our bankruptcy discharged. We aren't big fans of Ford but I must say it proved to be a very reliable car. We only owned it for 2 years but we never had any big issues. Cosmetically, little things fell apart like the paint on the shifter peeled off. Also the cd player ate cd's which I hear was a problem in a lot of Fords not just Fusion's. One of the interior back door locks stopped working one day as well and the dealer said it would be over $200 to fix so we just lived with it. For a mid sized car it delivered and did what it was supposed to do. It's not a sports car but if you want a point a to b and occasionally c, it's a decent buy.

Favorite Features

There's an extra storage cubby in the middle of the top dash which I found to be really interesting but quite handy. The car is on the smaller side but there was a huge amount of room in the trunk which was nice. We had the top of the line SEL V6 with leather, heated seats and sunroof but it still got good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior cosmetics that don't fall apart. Airbag sensor malfunctioned a few times as well. The most irritating thing was the gas neck (fuel neck), when you were filling the car up the pump kept clicking like it was full. Also the sunroof had a lot of wind noise.

Great car but...
By maxima155

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used in 2006 with 1,200 miles on the OD. For the first three years car was brilliant. No problems, just routine maintenance, brakes, oil changes, ect. Ride was excellent and the seats are extremely comfortable and well trimmed. In 2010, we had a few problems with the engine, but was covered under an extended warranty. Service engine soon light would come off and on. Also problems with charging system. In 2013, the car reached around 96,000 miles and started to develop some transmission problems. Dealer inspected the car and would not be a cheap fix since the extended warranty had ended. Decided to trade the car in and avoid major repairs in the future.

Favorite Features

Seats were black leather with white stitching, and extremely comfortable. The car had excellent leg room and was comfortable to drive. Decent in the winter with Ford approved All-Season tires. A set of 4 was around $700. Fantastic heating system, would warm up in a jiffy. Heated seats were also nice in the winter. Drove to Florida a few times and had no problems, there and back.

Suggested Improvements

The car is a good buy, but I would warn future buyers to purchase an extended warranty that will cover major repairs to the transmission and engine. The car was reliable and did not experience any major problems until 80,000 miles. Pros: Affordable maintenance, oil change was $20.00. Wipers could be purchased at any convenience store.

Serious Engine problems
By fusionowner05

2006 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1 month after I purchased my used Ford Fusion I had to replace the entire engine due to there being NO OIL in my engine...?? They couldn't find out where it's going or what is wrong with it. My warranty that I purchased covered the replacement with another used engine...I kept up with repairs and oil changes. 1.5yrs later it is devoid of oil AGAIN, and I am told I need another new engine...?? I'm done with the car, and have began seeking legal counsel since the Ford Dealership won't do anything for me. Suggestions about this situation is welcome!

Favorite Features

a/c and heat. good head room. 6 cd changer is fun. cabinet on top of dash is awesome. fairly quick in movement, smooth ride. OK gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Engine needs to be better quality! Better trunk entrance, it seems awful narrow. cannot put medium sized furniture in the trunk. headlamps are foggy. spoiler on trunk make it near impossible to see out back window. The drivers and passenger seats are kinda bucket-y and hurt for long drives.