MPG Learning curve
By khamiam on
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I have had my fusion hybrid for about a month --and MPG is a learned behavior. First about my driving --right now I am commuting out of state 250 miles from home and then 40 miles round trip from the hotel to work. I drive with the traffic in 55&65 zone. The first week I got 39-41 MPG --which is what I expected and was totally ok with. The second week, I got 43.5 and the third week 45.3 and the 4th 47.1 -- You have to change the way you drive. Easy on the accelerator, to keep it in EV mode.I wait to speed up when the gas engine kicks in. Yes, 47 MPG (for 500+ miles) is possible -- and if you are getting mid-thirties, your driving style doesn't fit ANY hybrid. Use eco-cruise for better mpg.
Favorite Features
Adaptive cruise control is Amazing --combined with eco cruise for better mpg. I have zero complaints with my ford touch because I use voice and steering wheel controls. Latest Nav update shows speed limit on display. Bliss is worth every cent. Remote start on cool mornings saves gas by pre-heating the interior with the electric motors so the car runs in EV mode when you get in. Otherwise, the car must run the gas engine for the first 5 minutes or so. Auto down for ALL windows not just the front. Auto lights and wipers.
Suggested Improvements
Nav system not on par with Garmin --or even cell phones. The voice commands are usable but the input itself is picky --I found it doesn't have many of the latest road or address information. My biggest problem with the car can't really be fixed. When using Lane assist in a smaller than normal work zone lane while running along side a truck, the lane assist wants to move me into the center of the lane--or into the lane of the truck beside me. There is really no way to avoid this and I find myself turning off the feature in these situations.