Misleading MPG
By izzy20 on
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've had this car for 2 months now and I think I'm now a decent hybrid driver. However, I don't think this car can deliver 47 MPG. Theres an instrument on the dashboard called Fuel Economy that shows your average MPG. I ALWAYS reset it when I fill the tank and I ALWAYS get 51/52 MPG when I need to refuel. I was excited I was getting "52 MPG". However, I also ALWAYS reset the dashboard TRIP 1 mileage counter when I fill the tank. I started noticing that I consistently get approx 560 miles per gas tank when I end with 52 MPG. Unless I'm missing something, 560 miles divided by 13.5 gallons is only 41 MPG. I don't understand why the dashboard shows 52 MPG when I only get 560 miles per tank.
Favorite Features
Other than my confusion with the MPG, I love this car. It looks great and drives smooth. I believe in hybrid technology. I haven't had any glitches with the touchscreen as many have noted. Acceleration is decent when I needed. I love that it has so many air bags. There's is plenty of room inside. Once I bought a Samsung 60" LED TV and, while still inside the box, I was able to pull the seats down and put it inside the trunk into the rear seats. That TV box was huge! The store guys couldn't believe it. I haven't had any problems with the brakes either. Many other people have complained about them being too grabby.
Suggested Improvements
None yet. Maybe more acceleration.
By b25nut
on 01/28/14 15:10 PM (PST)

The gas tank is rated at 13.5 gal, but the majority of FFH owners usually get a maximum of around 11 gal on each fill-up. If you were to drive the car until it quit from gas starvation, then you could put over 13 gal in the tank. 560 miles on 11 gallons gives you 50.9 mpg.

By jjj33
on 02/28/14 13:22 PM (PST)

the number of dashboard is not correct. the presise MPG is from your hand calculating with your calculator. (it is the all the same with any car) So, 41 MPG is correct !!!

By jjj33
on 02/28/14 13:26 PM (PST)

But, if your tank capacity is 13.5 gallon, when you see the yellow sign, and re-fuel the tank, your tank has around 1.5 or 2 gallon. So, if you drive 560 miles, and you re fill the tank, your MPG is 560 divided by 12 or 11.5. the MPG is 46.7 MPG (if you consumed 12 gallons), 48.7 (if you consumed 11.5 gallons).