Ford is lying about the mileage
By safedriver415 on
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
The 2014 Fusion Hybrid does not live up to its mpg claims. AT ALL! Expect to see no higher than 34mpg from normal driving and 38mpg from "hybrid driving". Unlike the Prius which get its claimed mpg numbers when driven normally, the Fusion Hybrid will never get close to 47mpg unless all your drives are down hill, at 70F degrees, and no headwind. The MyTouch system is a dog. It cant do anything without numerous inputs, and forget about the navigation, it is a true pain to use, so we don't and use our phones instead.
Favorite Features
The styling and comfort is one of the main positives for this car. The interior seems well put together, but I think some of the materials will wear down. The handling is also a big plus. The car is fun to drive and the hybrid integration is done well. It is clear the suspension was tuned to make the car feel more agile than its weight might indicate.
Suggested Improvements
Honesty about the (insert profanity here) mileage. Ford has clearly lied to its customers about the mileage and cant blame it on driving styles.
By marklally
on 05/11/14 15:01 PM (PDT)

I bought a used 2013 Fusion hybrid in January 2103. My average to date is 43.5 MPG, the mileage in the cold weather is much worse than in the hot weather. My average is really starting to go up now that it is warm. My worse mileage on any trip so far was about 36 MPG, and that was because most of that time I was traveling at 78 MPH. I just don't understand how anyone can get such lousy mileage in one of these cars unless they either have a mechanical problem or they drive the car like its a sports car, in which case 34 mpg would be quite good. As a reference, both my girlfriend and mother both drive a Ford C max ( which uses the same drivetrain), they average 43.4 and 46.6.

By vtsteve2
on 07/04/14 11:14 AM (PDT)

Looking at the two main sites for mpg databases, most Fusion Hybrid owners seem to average 36 to 43 mpg overall. Unfortunately, Ford wanted to show a huge number, which obviously resulted in pretty large sales. Now 6 models have finally gotten down to earth, and they'll have to sell cars on their true merits. The Fusion hybrid is a great car, inside and out. Even though I'm a Toyota owner, my favorite now is the Accord Hybrid. By far, the two best on the market are the Accord and Fusion hybrids. Each offer their own take, and definitely will attract their own loyalists. Toyota will have a huge upgrade when they release their next generation Camry Hybrid. Competition in this segment will lead to better and better cars IMO. As it is, we have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with over 110,000 miles, and the only unscheduled stop has been a water pump right around the 95,000 mile mark. Other than that, zero troubles, which counts for a lot more to me than marketing hype or pretty looks. (having said that, I hope the next Camry is more stylish ) LOL BTW, this old Camry hybrid still averages 37/38 in the warmer months, and usually 34ish in the cold winter. No slouch in that department for a nearly 8 year old car. My utility wagon, the Prius v, delivers pretty much on the spot for the sticker epa mileage. It's nice having a vehicle with huge cargo space get this good economy. When it comes time to replace the Camry hybrid, we'll be sure to check out the sedan wars then.

By mytouch1
on 05/17/14 00:33 AM (PDT)

I have had a similar experience with MPG. My average over 7,200 miles is only 32 MPG. Note: 3,000 was a trip from Laguna Beach to San Antonio TX. Most of my daily driving is 7-10 miles a day in town driving an average of 50 MPH. I drive it with avg braking 85%. TRANSLATION. I'M A CAR guy wanting to get the most out of the hybrid technology. I actually like the MyTouch software--took a while to understand the logic. Haven't had much luck with voice tech. I've taken it to my dealer twice about the low milage...They've re-calibrated the computer. Still-32 MPG. That's 32% off of sticker estimated average. Nice car but I bought it based on the MPG. For 32 MPG average, I would have made a completely different purchase. Nice car but MPG is misleading. KIA was sued and reduced it's posted milage from 47-40 MPG. I sure hope Ford doesn't end up getting sued for misleading MPG.

By jg88
on 03/17/14 11:11 AM (PDT)

Just rented a Fusion Titanium Hybrid for a week and 400+ miles -- observed MPG was 38-39 mpg, the computer stated 37.2. This was for 70/30 highway/town driving -- I found the MPG to be impressive for a car that is really nice, holds 4 very comfortably and has a long list of amenities. The only drawback I experienced was with trunk space due to the battery size. Whole your car may not get the MPG the sticker states, it's amazing to me that a car this nice was able to return such good gas mileage.

By ickaris
on 12/09/14 17:33 PM (PST)

I purchased the 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE in June of 2014 and have since driven 9,000 miles. To be fair, I do think the ride is fine. It has decent leather, and appearance. But to be blunt, you will not get 47 mpg city/highway in normal conditions. Driving uphill, against the wind, or with the heater or AC turned on. It will all draw more power than it can keep charged. I was sitting in a drive through waiting on my food and was watching what happened with a fully charged battery. The electric mode would not engage with the heater running. I always have a 97%-100% brake score and watch my acceleration trying to improve efficiency. I have reached up to 60 mpg on 3 mile trips, and have also had 18 mpg trips under normal braking and acceleration. I average 34-38 mpg on regular trips, which to me is seriously disappointing. Ford sent me a check of $750.00 to compensate for a year of fuel due to their miscalculations on efficiency. Kind gesture, but I feel I should have been provided with an option to return it because this is the main factor people like you and I take into consideration when purchasing this particular car. The only reason. Today I went back to my dealership to negotiate a trade and was offered $18,000.00 So much for holding it's value as they had claimed and used as a selling tactic. Also, they do not come with a spare tire as I found out on my last trip. I had a blowout on the turnpike and the only remedy is to tow it to a closed dealership 45 miles away partially at my own expense and pay a taxi to haul 2 adults, 3 kids, and a dog to a hotel for the night completely at my own expense. Seriously P.O'd about that. I paid $28,000.00 before tax and warranty. So not only is the mpg claim false, but they are not willing to work with customers who are unhappy with it and it's value drops $10,000.00 just driving off the lot. Guess I have a Fusion for 125,000 miles. Spare tire will come at your expense for $500.00 Worth it if your traveling and have to be back home for work and get your kids to school. I spent 3 hours broke down in the middle of no where because I was not informed there was no spare tire. They do however, equip the car with a accessory outlet powered air compressor with a built in canister of fixaflat. I was informed that the reason it has no spare is to reduce overall weight which in return increases the fuel efficiency. After the fact of course. So to anyone reading this be advised you may find yourself in an extremely bad situation as I did being completely unaware. Trading it in isn't an option for me because of the hit I will take in the wallet. I have to choke up $500 for a spare tire and wait a month if he can even get it according to the parts guy at the dealership. I figured they would at least offer me a spare tire on the house, but I'm being hit over the head on that as well. I hope you fusion owners and potential buyers find this useful.