2014 Fusion Hybrid S at 12K
By 7383 on
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
This is my "work" car, purchased for that purpose. Although I have driven a series of employer-provided vehicles over the years, (Ford and GM sedans), this is the first purchase for my own use. The Fusion is, (I am embarrassed to say), the first American-branded vehicle I have ever owned, and I am 50 years old. I drive a mix of 70-75 mph highway, congested city and rural two lane. By way of background, I am fussy and a bit of a "car guy." (Other vehicles: Miata 6M and Acura TSX 5A.) Also, I have prior experience with Toyota hybrids. I like them, and have driven approximately 10K miles in a Gen 3 Prius and a 2009 Camry hybrid That said, here are my observations at the 12K mark:
Favorite Features
Build quality, fit/finish, interior ergonomics. Seat design and material is good blend of support and cushion. A bit slow off the line, but rather impressive acceleration and passing ability, (with pronounced CVT "rubber band" effect, however). Suspension dampening is decidedly Teutonic. Quiet cabin. Electric steering quite good; more feedback than one might expect on this type of vehicle. I find the hybrid system smoother in transition than Toyota's. I like the EV+ feature (as opposed to Toyota's EV button), and that the car is biased toward EV, running in that mode approx 20% of the time. Easy to get over 47 mpg on trips if I try. 43.9 mpg over 12K today per vehicle computer.
Suggested Improvements
The rear portion of the seat bottom in the driver and passenger seats slants aft and downward, and cannot be adjusted on the S model. Make sure this is OK with you. It is not OK with me, although overall, I like the seat in other respects. Trunk space is limited and shape is inconvenient due to battery intrusion. Trunk lid opening arc inadequate. Multi-function display too small on S model. Ford Sync system is as inconvenient as suggested by reviewers everywhere. (I knew going in that it was bad from reviews and numerous car rentals. Despite its impressive capabilities, it is just not user-friendly.)