A Big Disappointment
By jay26tm on
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Special-ordered this car to get all the tech available in a fuel-efficient mid-size sedan. Unfortunately, the car only delivers 37.6 mpg - not the claimed 47 (and I was able to get 52 mpg in a rented Hyundai, so my driving style is NOT the problem). Most disappointing is poor reliability - back in the shop for the 3rd time in 10 months for mysterious electrical issues. Poor workmanship from the factory allowed water to saturate electronic components, causing all sorts of electrical problems. With only 9k miles on it, car has now spent 11 days in the shop over the past 10 months: my 2010 Chrysler has only spent 2 days in the shop & my 2003 import only 5. I just want to drive it off a cliff!!
Favorite Features
Love the adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, keyless entry, and back-up camera with active guidelines. These features are available on a lot of other vehicles now, so none of them are exclusive to the Fusion or to Ford. Auto dimming rear and side mirrors are also a plus. Vehicle does have 60/40 folding rear seats, which is not available on many hybrids.
Suggested Improvements
Improve quality workmanship from the factory. Mine had a wiring boot improperly connected between the driver door & A-pillar that allowed water into the electrical components. Also, wiring and carpet under the driver's seat is a mess - very unprofessional and not a neat finish. Interior and exterior trim pieces throughout the vehicle are loose, and there is way too much plastic used. For $36k, you'd expect a bit more quality in the vehicle. Also, stop claiming the vehicle gets 47 mpg when it clearly does not. I can get 37 mpg highway out of my 11-year old import (that only claims 27 mpg highway). I should be able to get nearly 60 out of the Fusion.
By dougbratman
on 04/27/14 07:47 AM (PDT)

I feel you, my friend. My 2013 Fusion Hybrid gets about 38 mpg on average; about 9 mpg less than the stated 47. It's not a lot different than my wife's non-hybrid 2013 Accord. And the price is not a lot of power. I brought it in for the "software update" but it did nothing to help. This is a $33,000 car! The car is attractive and comfortable, to be sure. The Sync system is not optimal. When I turn on the car the phone syncs, but I cannot use it for a full 5 minutes or it makes the call and the other person can't hear me. The Accord works right away. There are also times when, in order to disconnect from the call, I literally had to pull over and shut the car off. Talk about a hard reboot!