My First Hybrid - 2013 Fusion SE
By ga_ashby on
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I bought this car primarily because of it's gas mileage and style. Over the past three weeks I have been averaging 53 MPG in my daily 42 mile commute in Atlanta traffic. I have had to learn how to drive this car to maximize it's mileage. No I don't do 75 MPH in the left lane, but I do usually cruise between 60 and 70 MPH depending on traffic conditions. The car is comfortable, runs very quite and smooth. I really like the gauge layout on the dash and the Sync works reasonably well - my issue was that the IOS 7.0.4 update broke the Bluetooth interface which is causing me to have to reboot my iPhone at least once a day so it will sync correctly.
Favorite Features
By far, the gas mileage has been my favorite feature. My previous truck got about 16 MPG so I was spending around $4,500 dollars a year in gas cost! If I can keep this car at 53 MPG I will save around $3,700 a year - nice return on an investment. When working, the iPhone interface with Sync works really well. The navigation is also very nice. The leather seats are comfortable; environmental controls are laid out very nicely and easy to use.
Suggested Improvements
Since I am tall person - 6'2'' I have to drive with the seat back. Even at full extension the steering wheel does not come toward me far enough. Daytime running lights would be a nice feature as well. I know that the SE package does not include a start button, but in a hybrid that should be standard. I did have a few cosmetic issues with the car that the dealer had to fix - such as the molding on one of the windows did not fix correctly nor line up right. The dealer was able to fix at no cost to me. I really like Ford products, but I feel it is this kind of issues that make people buy Honda.
By jdg
on 02/02/14 21:15 PM (PST)

Is the MPG you post here derived from actual measurement of fuel used vs mileage or is it taken from the digital readout on your dash? I purchased new Fusion Hybrid, (actually a dealer demo with 16,000 miles) on new year's eve and was thrilled with the measured MPG shown on the dash but have been dissapointed when I did an actual measurement. I was showing anywhere between 47-52 MPG on the dash but I have only been getting between 39-41 MPG by actual measurement. While that seems pretty good I average 36 MPG with my 2010 gas Toyota Corolla and consistently get about 45 MPG on the interstate. I also do no hot rod and drive pretty conservativeley but I have yet to get close to the advertized mileage. In fact, this is the first car I have owned since EPA fuel ratings have been posted that I haven't exceeded the advertized MPG. So, if the MPG you are getting is true MPG and not the digital readout, what is your secret?