Nice, fairly quiet, comfortable, but just pretty good MPGs
By kkuhns on
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I knew that there was no way that this car would really average 47 MPG overall, so I had already adjusted my expectations down to think I might get 37 - 40 MPG overall, and I was OK with that. After the first 1000 miles, I'm getting about 37 overall, which is OK, but I want and expect it will get better. At least I hope so. I got the appearance package with 18" tires, so that may have a slightly worse impact on MPG, compared to the standard 17" Low Rolling Resistance tires. Not sure how much difference that makes, but presumably a little. Overall, I really like the car. I sold my 2013 Honda Accord to get one and I definitely think it was worth it.
Favorite Features
I think this car is comfortable, relatively quiet and fun to drive. I like driving hybrids and know how to coax decent gas mileage out of them. The build of the car seems solid and high quality. The electronics work well and it is comfortable. I did *not* get the MyTouch screen - it seemed problematic and hard to read and navigate at a glance while driving. One time I test drove a non-hybrid Fusion with MyTouch, and the screen locked up and froze solid when I was messing with it before the test drive. So I'm happy without it and the Sync and other features work fine.
Suggested Improvements
The main annoyance for me is the 13.5 Gal. gas tank. I know it gets better mileage than non-hybrids, but how much would the weight of 3 more gallons of gas impact the MPG of the car? It's not bad, and I still have to fill up only once a week for my commute, but it would have been nice to get another day of driving, or another 120 miles out of a tank of gas, assuming those 3 more gallons wouldn't have killed the gas mileage.
By kkuhns
on 06/25/13 11:56 AM (PDT)

Update after 5500 miles As I hoped, the overall gas mileage did seem to jump up after the 2000 mile mark. I don't understand why, but my driving did not change and the weather was only marginally different. My overall MPG now is 40 (over the past 2500 miles), with some drives yielding 50+ MPG and some 36+ MPG, depending on various factors, like head wind, rate of acceleration, top speed, etc. My typical commute is 56 miles each way, with about 85% of that on a major highway. When I drive 75+MPH, the MPG obviously goes down and that's when I average around 38 MPG. When I take a different route where the speed limit is 60, set the cruise on 62 MPH, I drift in and out of EV mode, and my drive home yields about 44 MPG, which I'm very happy with. I do know, from having had the original Prius, that there are techniques to driving a hybrid and that you can usually finagle more MPGs out of a hybrid with careful driving, but as they say: "Your mileage may vary." :-)