Mileage fix a lie
By dnoel71 on
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Last weekend I went and got the "update" regarding my Fusion Hybrid SE that was supposedly to help get better gas mileage as I drive almost 80 miles a day for work. Unfortunately it appears that instead of my mileage going up it is now going down!! I used to get anywhere from 37-41 now for the past 4 days of driving to work I have yet to even reach 37?? If someone else has gotten the update could you please let me know if the same thing is happening to you before I call and complain to Ford over this. I purchased this car specifically for the mileage promise that is a solid 10+ miles less mpg than promised.
Favorite Features
I love my navigation even though it can be confusing at time and the car is extremely comfortable.
Suggested Improvements
fix my mileage!
By wpcrisp
on 08/30/13 18:17 PM (PDT)

I drive mostly interstates with 70-mph speed limits, so the PCM update was a welcome improvement. If installed correctly, your left display is reset, along with other changes. Many owners report positive results. Go to fordfusionhybridforum.com and see the discussion thread 'Software updates from Ford to improve MPG'. There's >11k owners in the forum discussing all things FFH.

By b25nut
on 08/19/13 16:53 PM (PDT)

For the first 9,700 miles, my FFH averaged 37.2 mpg. Most of my time is spent above 65 mph. Early last week I got the PCM update (along with several others). Since then, my average MPG has consistenly been above 43 mpg. Get the updates re-done! When done right (which many dealers have not been doing), it makes a big difference. Will your FFH go into EV mode at speeds above 70 mph? If not, the update was not done correctly.

By kkuhns
on 02/20/14 09:53 AM (PST)

Thanks for the link to the fordfusionhybridforum.com. That is what I was looking for. I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and I generally love it. I never expected to get 47MPG - I think everyone knew that wasn't realistic. From April 2013 until October 2013, I was averaging around 39.x MPG overall (according to the car's computer). I commute 110 miles round trip, three days a week, or around 25K miles per year, mostly on the highway at 75 MPH. So I wasn't too unhappy with 39 overall. On some trips home from work (55 miles), I was getting 42 MPG when I drove conservatively. Then in October, I accepted the Ford "fix" that changed the algorithm for when EV mode could kick in. Previously, EV mode went up to 62 MPH. After the fix, EV mode could go up to something like 80 MPH. In theory, that would give highway drivers better gas mileage, if the engine could switch to EV at higher speeds. And it was indeed the case that I saw the engine occasionally switch to EV mode at the higher speeds, so that part worked. However, after I accepted the fix, my overall gas mileage started to decrease. I have a very consistent driving route and conditions. Each time when I stopped the car, I looked at the mileage for that trip, and the numbers were lower than before the fix was applied. This continued for the next 5 or 6 weeks. I mentioned it to the Ford dealer shop and they said to keep an eye on it. Well, after the weather started getting really cold in November and beyond, the mileage decreased even further, but that always happens with hybrids (and most cars) in the winter - the battery isn't as efficient in cold weather, you run the defrost and heat more, you let the car warm up, etc. So I couldn't really prove after that what was due to the Ford algorithm "fix" and what was due to the cold weather conditions. This has been a particularly cold, harsh winter, and now my overall gas mileage is down to 36.9 MPG (according to the car's computer). I haven't tried the manual gas mileage calculations, partly because I think there are so many variables in that process. The Car and Driver article linked above refers to them: how full do you fill your tank each time? how do you know how full it is when different gas pumps are calibrated to cut off with different amounts of back pressure? what about different manufacturers of fuel? differences between summer and winter fuel? heat and cold? The article suggested a particular approach to try to minimize some of the variables, but I'm not usually able to be that consistent, so I end up relying on the car's computer numbers. I am biding my time until warmer weather an more optimal driving conditions return. Then I plan to consistently measure my MPG again and see if it goes back up closer to what it was before the fix. I do plan to go back to the dealer and keep this issue in front of them. They seemed sympathetic, but they are limited in what they can do. I would like to hear from any other 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid owners who have accepted the EV mode "fix" and to hear the experience of others gas mileage after that.