Good car, disappointing mileage
By tlh4 on
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I have had this car about a month. I have driven on the highway and city. I simply don't believe the two previous posts about mileage. Complete B.S. I am getting in the low 30s in the city, and this is while paying attention to the readout that tells you when you are in EV mode. I have taken a couple short trips at low highway speed, about 60 MPH. I kept the speed down to allow it to run in EV mode. On these trips I got about 38 MPG.

Bottom line: I really like the car. It is quiet, with great interior and exterior styling, and more features than I have been able to master. However, don't expect to get anywhere near 47 MPG. The EPA needs to their house in order.

Favorite Features
The electronic features are extensive and all (so far) seem to work as advertised. It is like driving a computer. It is a gorgeous car to look at, and the interior is excellent.
Suggested Improvements
The car should get something lose to the mileage the EPA says it should. The previous Fusion fell notoriously short in this regard (see the Inside Line review) and the 2013 model does as well.
By robert8076
on 01/12/13 14:05 PM (PST)

EPA doesn't actually measure mileage on new cars. The auto company ("the builder") certifies the mileage according to "EPA protocols." This clearly has led to some fudging. I have a Prius and never come close to 50 mpg in the city. For the first 5 minutes when the engine and batteries are cold I get 20 to 25 mpg. As we know by now Consumers Report has challenged the mileage claims of the Fusion Hybrid and EPA is noiw investigating.