2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love this car!
By hankfink

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love it! Beautiful inside and out, very comfortable and I get 43MPG average. I drive pretty fast and on a regular bases exceed the MPGs. It's rated at 43 MPG now, so I'm happy thats exactly what I get. The stereo is great, and the navigation more accurate than a smart phone. On a trip from SF to LA I have a 1/4 tank left over. Surprises everyone how nice the interior (luxury package w navigation) is. Oh the brakes are great!

Favorite Features

Interior, exterior styling. It's fast if you push it, and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Wish devs had apps for MyFord Touch, I'd like real buttons for climate controls and the radio and maybe more wheel options cause they're difficult to clean. I've had zero issues with the sync system, and I've found that most complaints were below a certain version.

Best Car I have purchased in years!
By terryauto

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Flawless! I have owned just about every make of car from high end US, European & Asian models to entry level cars and trucks. I own 6 different cars and trucks and collector cars. It is fair to say I have experienced many different technologies. My Fusion Hybrid SE is loaded with all the options and has been flawless. At first the mileage was in the mid to high 30's and after 1500 miles I am up to 43mpg. The key is to take into consideration your driving style, road conditions, wind conditions. One thing i quickly learned was to use the cruise control as much as possible as it really helped my mileage. I am very impressed with the build quality, ride and performance of my Fusion! Love it!

Favorite Features

The Ford Sync system, adaptive cruise control, parking system, interior fit, form and finish, cool exterior styling resembling Aston Martin! The car can deliver power when needed and has great acceleration for a hybrid! I own high torque/horsepower cars and the Fusion is no slouch! The ride is solid and comfortable and the quietness of the ride is better than other high end cars we have owned! That was a real surprise! Fuel economy is coming on and hopefully as we put more miles on the car it will get closer to the EPA rating. Wish they still sold fuel without Methanol! You would have better mileage and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the option for the high end Sony Stereo in the SE model! Add a power passenger seat that moves in the same motions as the drivers seat. Everything else is on target.

Nice looking, but don't expect great mileage.
By dougbratman

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2013 Fusion Hybrid gets about 37 or 38 mpg on average; about 9 mpg less than the stated 47. It's not a lot different than my wife's non-hybrid 2013 Accord. And the price for this mileage is not much power. I brought it in for the "software update" but it did nothing to help. This is a $33,000 car! The car is attractive and comfortable, to be sure. The Sync system is not optimal. When I turn on the car the phone syncs, but I cannot use it for a full 5 minutes or it makes the call and the other person can't hear me. The Accord works right away. There are also times when, in order to disconnect from the call, I literally had to pull over and shut the car off. Talk about a hard reboot!

Favorite Features

Attractive car. Comfortable seats and smooth ride. Better mileage than the average mid-size though, as stated, nowhere near what's promised. Love the backup camera with full color display (The Accord also has a camera on the passenger side to see blind spot). Blind spot monitoring. Beeping when close to rear or side object. Handles well in snow with snow tires. Smart, efficient interior design. Cap-free gas tank access. Heated seats with 3 intensities.

Suggested Improvements

Some design/manufacturing flaws. The mileage is nowhere near as promised and Ford knows this. They had a softwear update that is ineffective. The Bluetooth phone doesn't sync for several minutes at best and is quirky. I've had to pull over and turn off the car to end a call. You can't adjust temperature from steering wheel, as you could with my Explorer. When you wash the car the portion under the trunk lid remains dirty (design flaw). You can get more power with a heavier foot on the gas, but the mileage will suffer greatly. Worse mileage in cooler temps when the engine must stay on longer. Ford should reimburse us for the hundreds of dollars in gas we are buying vs what they promised.

A Big Disappointment
By jay26tm

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Special-ordered this car to get all the tech available in a fuel-efficient mid-size sedan. Unfortunately, the car only delivers 37.6 mpg - not the claimed 47 (and I was able to get 52 mpg in a rented Hyundai, so my driving style is NOT the problem). Most disappointing is poor reliability - back in the shop for the 3rd time in 10 months for mysterious electrical issues. Poor workmanship from the factory allowed water to saturate electronic components, causing all sorts of electrical problems. With only 9k miles on it, car has now spent 11 days in the shop over the past 10 months: my 2010 Chrysler has only spent 2 days in the shop & my 2003 import only 5. I just want to drive it off a cliff!!

Favorite Features

Love the adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, keyless entry, and back-up camera with active guidelines. These features are available on a lot of other vehicles now, so none of them are exclusive to the Fusion or to Ford. Auto dimming rear and side mirrors are also a plus. Vehicle does have 60/40 folding rear seats, which is not available on many hybrids.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality workmanship from the factory. Mine had a wiring boot improperly connected between the driver door & A-pillar that allowed water into the electrical components. Also, wiring and carpet under the driver's seat is a mess - very unprofessional and not a neat finish. Interior and exterior trim pieces throughout the vehicle are loose, and there is way too much plastic used. For $36k, you'd expect a bit more quality in the vehicle. Also, stop claiming the vehicle gets 47 mpg when it clearly does not. I can get 37 mpg highway out of my 11-year old import (that only claims 27 mpg highway). I should be able to get nearly 60 out of the Fusion.

Ford Fusion Hybrid 2013
By ksaclo

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owned for 7 months and reading reviews to see if there were serious issues I may run into. The majority of the reviews are right on target with my findings and the only bad reviews are from people who do not drive the car properly or are having a specific one off issue, then blowing it out of proportion (e.g. tires rupture easily. Huh?). Currently getting 44.4 MPG once I learned not to punch the gas pedal and keep the gas lightly applied esp. on the HWY (60-70). Teenage daughter driving goes down about 10 MPG (2+2=?). Love this car and is the best commuter car ever purchased. That coming from a very experienced southern California driver and a friend who owns the Titanium agrees 100%.

Favorite Features

Technical amenities are nice. I am in the technology industry so I know what I am referring to. I had a person in my car who owns a nice 2 year old BMW who commented "Wow, I wish I had some of those features on a touch screen in my car.". Rearview camera is also nice and the overall stylings compared to the majority of hybrids (which are either ugly or the same body as their best selling car, with the hybrid slapped on to it).

Suggested Improvements

Noticed a few glitches in the Sync/bluetooth features, but nothing that prevents me from using it (e.g. can't go back scrolling thru phonebook while driving, but can scroll ahead.).

My First Hybrid - 2013 Fusion SE
By ga_ashby

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car primarily because of it's gas mileage and style. Over the past three weeks I have been averaging 53 MPG in my daily 42 mile commute in Atlanta traffic. I have had to learn how to drive this car to maximize it's mileage. No I don't do 75 MPH in the left lane, but I do usually cruise between 60 and 70 MPH depending on traffic conditions. The car is comfortable, runs very quite and smooth. I really like the gauge layout on the dash and the Sync works reasonably well - my issue was that the IOS 7.0.4 update broke the Bluetooth interface which is causing me to have to reboot my iPhone at least once a day so it will sync correctly.

Favorite Features

By far, the gas mileage has been my favorite feature. My previous truck got about 16 MPG so I was spending around $4,500 dollars a year in gas cost! If I can keep this car at 53 MPG I will save around $3,700 a year - nice return on an investment. When working, the iPhone interface with Sync works really well. The navigation is also very nice. The leather seats are comfortable; environmental controls are laid out very nicely and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Since I am tall person - 6'2'' I have to drive with the seat back. Even at full extension the steering wheel does not come toward me far enough. Daytime running lights would be a nice feature as well. I know that the SE package does not include a start button, but in a hybrid that should be standard. I did have a few cosmetic issues with the car that the dealer had to fix - such as the molding on one of the windows did not fix correctly nor line up right. The dealer was able to fix at no cost to me. I really like Ford products, but I feel it is this kind of issues that make people buy Honda.

Finally had to do a review
By bruceski2

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 2013 fusion hybrid SE for 8 months and just passed 40,000 miles without a single problem. I have never gotten below 40 mpg and routinely get 44-46 in the summer and 41-44 in the winter. It really doesn't matter how I drive the car, the mileage rarely strays. Everywhere I go people ask me about the car and I can't say anything negative. It is the one car I have owned that I truly enjoy. I had the software upgrade and it did not increase or decrease my mileage. I have a ton of bells and whistles that I only got because the car already had them on it. This is by far the best car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Love the park assist and cross traffic monitor. The back up camera is a must have and makes parking a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

The only real improvement I could see is the leather is wearing a little more than I'd like but at least as good as my old Toyota.

Don't buy, unreliable, MPG misrepresented, Sync does not work as represented
By info8

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Fusion looks great, but it is not reliable. The Dec 2013 Consumer Reports gives Ford (especially the Fusion Hybrid) very low reliability scores.The Fusion Hybrid is one of the few cars CR expressly puts in its "Not Recommended" category.Its low profile tires rupture easily and it does not have a spare tire which requires a tow (its inflation device might only work on punctures). Ford Sync system does not always work. The warning system and bright light dimmer work sporadically. Ford is slow in suppling repair parts. Distracting warning lights erratically appear and disappear on instrument panel. Actual MPG is 35-7, not Ford's bogus 47. Don't make the same mistake that I did.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance & design, Ice Storm color, exterior lights are attractive, sunroof, adequate headroom with sunroof closed, fold down rear seats, Ford Roadside Assistance which the unreliable Fusion needs, 2 USB ports that can be used instead of the unreliable Bluetooth sync

Suggested Improvements

Do not continue misrepresenting 47 MPG, supply a spare tire & jack as you do on non-hybrid Fusions, simplify the electronics, improve voice recognition (commands don't always work), improve navigation system which is not as good as the one on my cell phone, FoMoCo should improve parts supply (send correct parts, improve speed of delivery), get some good electronic techs that can find causes of problems & fix a bad system,

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid after 1 Year
By mgmd11

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving my Ford Fusion Hydrid for 1 year now with 16K miles on it. I routinely get 41-44 mpg with an 80 mile roundtrip commute to work. Living in the Seattle area has advantages for better gas mileage beciase of milder summers and winters which do not result in poorer mileage due to using AC and heater as much. Freeway speed limit is also 60 mph around here. The estimated MPG generated on the Fuel Economy page matched my actual value quite well until July when I had a software ungrade. Now I routinely see 48-51 estimate MPG after burning a full tank of gas but my actual is still 41-44 MPG. Hmmm. Is Ford fudging the data?

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; adaptive cruise control is very cool even used when commuting; back up and side alerting system especially good with the silent hybrid; blindspot detection; power when you need it even for a hybrid

Suggested Improvements

Engine noisy, especially noticeable when accelerating at lower speeds; build quality, some trim items too cheap, come off too easily

What 47 mpg ?
By mikeeewags

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have now put 5500 miles on my 2013 fusion se. I have yet to even get close to 40 mpg, much less 47 mpg. I drove from Florida to Ohio and back last week and the best mileage I got was 35 in the mountains, but only 33 in the flat areas of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. I had the computer upgrade done before I left and that was no help either. Will be contacting the Ford Tech people tomorrow and see what the issue is with the mileage. Other than the mileage it is a most wonderful car, and adding a lot of chrome makes it a real head turner.

Favorite Features

Quietness of the interior, seat, ford sync, navigation, and overall feel of the car

Suggested Improvements

Get real with the mileage. I did not pay $33,000.00 for a car to get 30% less mileage than the EPA Rating. Feel used in that area. And who are these people getting 40-50mpg. Paid by Ford?