2014 Ford Fusion Energi 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Best Car Purchase Decision Ever!

2014 Ford Fusion Energi - Consumer Review

SE Luxury Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Best Car Purchase Decision Ever!
By slawik on

2014 Ford Fusion Energi SE Luxury 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car as a company advertising gimmick (limo rental), since we had excess solar energy being produced at our offices and wanted to advertise a completely emissions-free car (for its first 20 miles on each charge). I drove it for the first two weeks exclusively and did not want to turn over the keys. I own over thirty cars, including a Mercedes S600 and several classic Bentleys and Rolls Royce, but yet driving this one makes me the proudest. I'm actually rediscovering the fun of taking off fast from stop lights, this time in EV only mode, completely noiselessly and without fumes. Why can't they make all cars this much clean fun to drive - I can't stop talking about it...

Favorite Features

Love the EV Only option. I get really miffed when the engine occasionally kicks in, supposedly for systems maintenance, even when I have it in EV mode. The other drawback is psychological: in my desire to make the EV range as high as possible and to up the gas mileage, I skip using climate control. All the electronic monitoring of gas mileage and ideal regenerative braking gets you hooked quicker than any video game could - on saving the earth and money at the same time. I love the simplicity of the interior, and I actually like Ford Sync with the touch screen. So far no challenge operating it without having read a single manual or gotten any instruction. The bluetooth audio sounds best.

Suggested Improvements

I would love a removable added lithium battery pack. As it stands, the trunk isn't that useful anyway, so I actually bought a tow receiver online and use an external luggage rack (with weatherproof bag) hooked into the hitch, which is easily added or removed. So if I could have another 5-6kWh battery pack to just put in the trunk and hook in, it could easily double the car's EV only range. It would also be nice to offer an optional touchscreen remote control for Ford Sync to allow rear-seat passengers access to the system. I'm also wondering whether the car actually has an alternator, because it doesn't appear to consistently charge as the gas engine is propelling it at highway speeds.