Couldn't be happier at 75000+ miles...
By bcb_wa on
2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)
Bought my 2007 SEL AWD in 2008 with 13K miles on it. It was a rental in Alaska before I bought it in the state of Washington. Never a mechanical problem. Engine, CVT and AWD still runs like a champ. Solid as a rock with only a couple very minor trim rattles over rough pavement. Leather has held up well. Sad to see this die (TaurusX ended production in 2010), but its been reborn in the new 2011 Explorer. Same platform, similar interior, just more aggressive looks. Highly recommend getting one if you're in the market for similar vehicle. As for getting one of these used - I would heartily recommend one. TMV under 9K as of Feb 2012 - excellent value and comfort for a family hauler.
Favorite Features
AWD. CVT - always elicits comments from passengers on the lack of shifting. :) Seating versatility and ease of changing the configuration for cargo vs people. Comfort - seats are perfect height for ingress, no climb up or fall down/in. Support on the drivers seat is great. Tilting seatbacks in the rear bench a nice feature.
Suggested Improvements
A few more horsepower - which they added in 2008 when they changed this to a TaurusX. Better rear heater air flow - it cooks the driver side rear passenger while only moderately helping the passenger side rear passenger. Add some split ducting. Only issue I've had is the folding seatback lever failure. Got it "fixed" once under warranty, but the dealer fix was apparently just a tie wrap on the push/pull cable who's retaining clip had broken. When I dug into it myself after it failed out of warranty, I put my own, more robust, tie wrap solution on and its been fine for 3 years. Don't go cheap on those cables, FORD! Minor part causes big headaches as it is difficult to fix properly.