Used 2007 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

have a great humming noise from transmission
By charles slocum

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

look up the comments on car u are thinking about buying

started out good
By Tr76

2007 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this car new in 2007, it was great for years then at 125,000 we had to replace the transmission cost us $3000. Then it stated surging , got the throttle cable cleaned it worked great for another year , now the surging is so bad now that is dangerous to drive , and when we put it in gear it surges then the wrench light comes on and the car cuts off ... Just paid $1200 to replace the air conditioning system. Seems like everything breaks at once and it's all expensive to fix ...
I wish Ford would recall the problems and fix it !

About my 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
By bruce1458

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

So far I have not have some of those problems that some Freestyle owners have. I now have 64,000 miles, and still under the Ford ESP Warranty. The ride is a bit bumpy, gas mileage should be better, My biggest problem now is the door locks freezes up when snow or when temp falls below 25 degrees, then the doors wont close. I had to hold the driver door while driving. Not good. I received a Recall letter about eight years ago took it to a Dealer and thought I was fixed, come to find out nothing was done. In Maryland sometimes we our Winter is not as bad as the western or nothern States. Otherwise not a bad car.

Sunroof, Power Seats, Color, Rear Parking Sensors and Passenger room. Wish there were more features.

Better Breaking Distance, Improve Gas Mileage, Better Ride, Trunk space, Better sound stereo system, Better quality material for interior and exterior, and much better Engine Performance.

Practical till 130k
By carsnobby

2007 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've been very happy with my Freestyle for the last 100k miles and 4 years...but once we hit 130,000 miles the car has developed several squeaks, rattles and several expensive repairs.

In the last 3 months we have put $2600 into it.
- $830 for a inner tie rod that cracked
- $1825 for ball joints & control arms

This car eats tires (have put on 3 sets of high mileage tires since 20k miles). Also has had 2 complete brake jobs.

Beyond the tire usage, it was a relatively cheap car to maintain, until the last 3 months. The car is getting to expensive to maintain and I am doubting its future reliability.

Couldn't be happier at 75000+ miles...
By bcb_wa

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2007 SEL AWD in 2008 with 13K miles on it.
It was a rental in Alaska before I bought it in the state of Washington. Never a mechanical problem.
Engine, CVT and AWD still runs like a champ.
Solid as a rock with only a couple very minor trim rattles over rough pavement.
Leather has held up well.

Sad to see this die (TaurusX ended production in 2010), but its been reborn in the new 2011 Explorer.
Same platform, similar interior, just more aggressive looks.
Highly recommend getting one if you're in the market for similar vehicle.
As for getting one of these used - I would heartily recommend one. TMV under 9K as of Feb 2012 - excellent value and comfort for a family hauler.

AWD. CVT - always elicits comments from passengers on the lack of shifting. :) Seating versatility and ease of changing the configuration for cargo vs people. Comfort - seats are perfect height for ingress, no climb up or fall down/in. Support on the drivers seat is great. Tilting seatbacks in the rear bench a nice feature.

A few more horsepower - which they added in 2008 when they changed this to a TaurusX. Better rear heater air flow - it cooks the driver side rear passenger while only moderately helping the passenger side rear passenger. Add some split ducting. Only issue I've had is the folding seatback lever failure. Got it "fixed" once under warranty, but the dealer fix was apparently just a tie wrap on the push/pull cable who's retaining clip had broken. When I dug into it myself after it failed out of warranty, I put my own, more robust, tie wrap solution on and its been fine for 3 years. Don't go cheap on those cables, FORD! Minor part causes big headaches as it is difficult to fix properly.