2007 Ford Freestyle SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2007 Freestyle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Sort Reviews by

About my 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
By bruce1458

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

So far I have not have some of those problems that some Freestyle owners have. I now have 64,000 miles, and still under the Ford ESP Warranty. The ride is a bit bumpy, gas mileage should be better, My biggest problem now is the door locks freezes up when snow or when temp falls below 25 degrees, then the doors wont close. I had to hold the driver door while driving. Not good. I received a Recall letter about eight years ago took it to a Dealer and thought I was fixed, come to find out nothing was done. In Maryland sometimes we our Winter is not as bad as the western or nothern States. Otherwise not a bad car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Power Seats, Color, Rear Parking Sensors and Passenger room. Wish there were more features.

Suggested Improvements

Better Breaking Distance, Improve Gas Mileage, Better Ride, Trunk space, Better sound stereo system, Better quality material for interior and exterior, and much better Engine Performance.

Practical till 130k
By carsnobby

2007 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've been very happy with my Freestyle for the last 100k miles and 4 years...but once we hit 130,000 miles the car has developed several squeaks, rattles and several expensive repairs. In the last 3 months we have put $2600 into it. - $830 for a inner tie rod that cracked - $1825 for ball joints & control arms This car eats tires (have put on 3 sets of high mileage tires since 20k miles). Also has had 2 complete break jobs. Beyond the tire usage, it was a relatively cheap car to maintain, until the last 3 months. The car is getting to expensive to maintain and I am doubting its future reliability.

Favorite Features

Great rear folding seats and seating for 7 adults. Fuel economy with AWD is amazing - average about 21mpg with aggressive city/highway driving. Great road feel.

Suggested Improvements

Engine could be a bit bigger for better acceleration.

Couldn't be happier at 75000+ miles...
By bcb_wa

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2007 SEL AWD in 2008 with 13K miles on it. It was a rental in Alaska before I bought it in the state of Washington. Never a mechanical problem. Engine, CVT and AWD still runs like a champ. Solid as a rock with only a couple very minor trim rattles over rough pavement. Leather has held up well. Sad to see this die (TaurusX ended production in 2010), but its been reborn in the new 2011 Explorer. Same platform, similar interior, just more aggressive looks. Highly recommend getting one if you're in the market for similar vehicle. As for getting one of these used - I would heartily recommend one. TMV under 9K as of Feb 2012 - excellent value and comfort for a family hauler.

Favorite Features

AWD. CVT - always elicits comments from passengers on the lack of shifting. :) Seating versatility and ease of changing the configuration for cargo vs people. Comfort - seats are perfect height for ingress, no climb up or fall down/in. Support on the drivers seat is great. Tilting seatbacks in the rear bench a nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

A few more horsepower - which they added in 2008 when they changed this to a TaurusX. Better rear heater air flow - it cooks the driver side rear passenger while only moderately helping the passenger side rear passenger. Add some split ducting. Only issue I've had is the folding seatback lever failure. Got it "fixed" once under warranty, but the dealer fix was apparently just a tie wrap on the push/pull cable who's retaining clip had broken. When I dug into it myself after it failed out of warranty, I put my own, more robust, tie wrap solution on and its been fine for 3 years. Don't go cheap on those cables, FORD! Minor part causes big headaches as it is difficult to fix properly.

Love this car!!
By jessiccamiller

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2007 Freestyle about a week ago with 79,000 miles. So far it is an amazing vehicle. It runs great, I have had no issues with surging and it has really good pick up. I know it has only been a week, but I am completely satisfied. It has tons of room for my kids and two large dogs. I absolutely love it!!

I hate this car
By kshall1

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I got talked into this car and have regretted it ever since. It has always given me problems. The surging issue being the most scary. In parking lots, at stop lights, whenever idling the stupid thing just surges forward or in reverse and I've nearly hit people and other cars many times! My foot is completely on the break and it just takes off. It has left me stranded, and I have 3 small children. Now its not shifting out of first gear and the ABS light just came on too. I hate this car. Praying it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to fix. Ford..you REALLY need to take this seriously and recall these issues! They are dangerous and your going to end up getting sued.

Suggested Improvements

Recall this car. You really need to fix these dangerous problems. It's not ok to ignore them. You're losing customers, I will never buy a Ford again unless you do what is right and fix the problems that are obviously issues for MANY people. Please do the right thing

Went in for a oil change came out with a morgage..
By 88jimbo

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Went a local ford dealer for a oil change they said it was time to replace pwr steering fluid. No big deal the car has 70k on it they did that we got the car back . Not 3hrs later the check engine light comes on so I figured they might of bumped a sensor or somthing . so when my stepfather gets back he tells me the air box needs to be replaced . now this car has never been in a accident and yet the dealer tells him it was all cracked up and throttle body is rusted so the replaced for like $2000.00 so good enough they get car back .The next morning the check engine light is on again. Now they say it needs a computer for a nother $1500.00 .Now im pulling my hair out feel free to comment .

Favorite Features

the car has good and reliable all its life . Never had any problems and always kept maintained.

Good value for the money
By volman1

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought our Freestyle to replace a minivan. This car is one of the best layouts for a car on the road. We have approximately 120K on the car. The transmission is fine. I did have the throttle body replaced under warranty but I have discovered that you can easily clean the throttle body with a cleaner made for Fords.

Ford CVT Transmission problems
By algc

2007 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Our 2007 Ford Freestyle was purchased used in 2009 with 17000 miles. Immediately a traction controll light kept coming on on the dash. When we took it to the dealership, they couldn't find a problem and we were told to ignore it. Now at 66,000 miles, it has severe problems with the transmission not working. Worse, when we took it to two local dealerships, neither worked on the CVT transmission and wasn't able to diagnose or repair the problem. From reading reviews on the internet, I find that this problem is common in the Freestyle and the lack of Ford Trained Transmission specialists is common also. This car isn't reliable and I would pass on buying another with the CVT transmission.

Favorite Features

It looks good on the outside.

Suggested Improvements

It has a noisy ride - the entertainment system and the transmission all need improvement.

Year 4 with my Freestyle
By taxiatmmom

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After 4 years, I am still very satisfied with my Freestyle. No major repairs needed except brakes which were very reasonable. Roomy for my family of 6 and great for road trips. I'm not bothered by the "low power" issues, and it is actually better than most at uphill accelleration. My only gripes are the road noise and that fact that the rear lift gate doesn't close automatically.

Favorite Features

Safety first! The safety ratings made this vehicle my choice. I also love the interior design which affords comfort for my family, and easy, workable cargo options. The heated front seats are wonderful in the winter...and when I have a backache. The adjustable pedals are great since I am petite. I can drive comfortably and still maintain a safe distance from the airbag/steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

None. Out of production.

07 Review Good buy
By styledriver

2007 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Wanted minivan size without looks or cost. Find this while shopping. It gets better gas millage than a SUV, 18 when used in-town 100%. If you want a minivan/SUV with all the plus's get this!

Favorite Features

CVT does wonders for gas millage, I love the fold up seats, it allows kids to move in and out quickly. External side mirror lights when car door closes is great!

Suggested Improvements

The plastic parts at the base of the seats are lower quality. THE CVT cost $450 to change every 60k miles budget for it!