2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Research the CVT problems
By katie-kate on 07/28/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car was okay. For hauling around little kids and their junk, just get a minivan, this is not a substitute. Mileage was pretty decent and I liked the size. The interior finishes were cheap. The third row seat was alright for occasional use, but swallowed all cargo space. We had two 6 foot plus, 250 pound people in the third row and it was actually okay. However, at 40,000 miles and only 2 years old the transmission needed to have major work done, to the tune of $2,000. Not happy. Traded it in on a Honda Odyssey. I am sad to be driving my first non-ford, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can just feel that the Odyssey is going to be a much better long term vehicle.

Well equipped, but problematic
By Matt Wolvington on 07/21/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 06 Freestyle new in Florida. Love driving the car, and hauling 5 kids (in carseats) in it. Only issues with car is the rubber door molding keeps falling off, the rear brakes need replacement again (replaced under warranty at 26000 mi) at 52000 miles (Front pads are original), and vehicle goes into "reduced power mode" anytime it gets a bad sensor reading. This means the RPM's won't go over 2500 and 0-60 times are around 30 sec. Last time it happened, I turned off the car and restarted it to fix. The time before that I had to replace the air filter (no, it was not the orig.) Also, occasionally, the engine will surge in reverse making it difficult to not hit something.

A lot for he Money
By Mike S. on 06/21/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our Freestyle 2wd used with 32,000 miles on it. Needed more space than the Taurus we had to haul things. Recent trip from N. Indiana to St. Louis on interstate got 26-27 mph doing 70-75 mph. Do that with most SUV's. Real versatile with seating and hauling. Slight hesitation on exceleration (like a turbo lag), but hang on when the engine revs and the trany adjusts for the need. First trip was from N. Indiana to Mackinac Island 4 adults, 2 bikes on the back, loaded, doing 75 mph on interstate and some 2 lane driving - and got over 23 mph - super. Brakes are not a problem. Still have originals at 53000. Anyone going through them fast needs to change their driving habits.

I don't like the interior fabric
By Stacey on 06/18/08 19:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

From the moment I sat in my Ford Freestyle I knew it was the right van for me! As time has gone on I only have one complaint "the interior fabric on the seats are terrible!" Having 2 children it seems impossible to keep the car seats clean! When it rains and I open my door to get in and some rain drops hit my seat, oh well there is another stain! The smallest amount of water leaves a big water spot! In the last 2 years I have spent over $400 getting the seats cleaned. Other than the fabric, I love my Freestyle!

Real Safe Car
By carlover on 05/24/08 06:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

A great car. I loved the third row seats and a cargo room is the largest of its kind. I was in a roll over accident and totaled the car; however, myself and my three year old walked away with only a few bumps!

Spacious and solid wagon
By cawfebug on 01/14/08 06:21 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

With about 10,000 miles, we haven't had this into the dealership for anything other than oil changes. Coming from a '01 Honda minivan, this AWD wagon feels much more secure and quite. The third row seat is a great alt to a minivan, fairly easy exit/entry. 3rd row can fold flat for hauling. CVT trans is fine with me, not sure why people complain about it, it gets good MPG for such a large vehicle. Highly recommended.

Satisfied
By satisfied on 01/13/08 08:02 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We have been very pleased with the ride and comfort of this vehicle. Handles great in the snow. It had plenty of power to get us through the mountains of West Virginia cruising easily at speeds of 80 miles per/hr. The lay out of the third seat accomodates adults as well children and has the added safety of head rests and side curtain air bags. Did get 24 mpg on high way

Consider AWD for snow
By Mike on 01/05/08 16:44 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I enjoy this car except for 3 problems: (1) The two wheel drive is the worst and most helpless front wheel drive car I have ever driven in the snow. There is too much power to drive wheels causing wheel to spin easily. (2)I started out averaging about 22 mpg in the city and 25-27 mpg on the highway. It now has taken a turn down word to 18 city and 21-23 Hwy (according to vehicle display). This is not what was promised. (3) The vehicle trade in value towards a new car was insultingly low - $13,800.

Check it over first
By rubdr on 11/29/07 20:13 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Had rear main seal replaced in the first year. Mileage avg 23hwy/16city in 11k miles. Nice drive.

2006 Freestyle SE
By ojdash on 11/29/07 14:13 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Very nice car. I bought an SE for about 3k under TW on here so I am very happy about that. I like the fact that I get duel climate control and power adjustable driver seat on the base model. I couldn't ask for more with a cold-natured fiance. I am usually rougher on cars than most so leather would be a bad option for me. The ride is a bit noisy on the highway but not bad. It is very comfortable and the driving position is perfect. It has about 30k on it. No problems so far. Overall I love it!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.