Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 172 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

2006 Ford Freestyle SE in NC
By Jermnc77

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased the Freestyle new in 2006. I love the Freestyle! I love the styling cues of an SUV mixed with a stationwagon. I would have loved to seen a "wood" panel addition. This car is an excellent traveler! We drove it from NC to OK and enjoyed every mile. I can't believe I'm actually thinking of keeping this car and paying it off! That has NEVER happened to me! My average mpg is 23 miles per gallon. I have never achieved the advertised "500 miles per tank". Still it gets better gas mileage than any other SUV's or vans this size! I got the CVT trans model. I wish I had gotten a regular trans instead. The CVT has a towing capacity of 2k, while the reg trans had a 3k

Ride height, seat heighth, handling, easy to drive, versatility!, 3 row seating. I just feel safe driving this thing! Rear AC.

Wiper switch seems in reverse to other cars, digital temp controls seem to have mind of own, seats that recline further, rear heat only comes out of one side on models with rear temp controls. Make foglights standard on all models. The black face cluster is hard to see sometimes. Make white stdrd.

Very disappoint with Ford Customer Care
By Hami

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My husband and I purchased this vehicle two years ago (1 1/2 yrs old at the time) as a trade-in for a Ford Mustang. We were quite please with it until this year. We replaced all tires at 38,000 miles (Oct.), an alternator at 39,000 miles (Nov.) and I just broke down on the highway three days before Christmas, only to find that the transmission needs to be replaced! The car has 40,000 miles on it and of course it's past the 3yr./36,000 miles warranty by 5 months and 4,000 miles!!! Even the dealerships said it shouldn't go that soon, yet Ford seemed unwilling to help us. I registered a formal complaint and will be following up. No more Fords. My Corolla is 10 yrs old and no problems!

The space inside, storage room in the back and we like the feature of the pull-down third seat, especially with our third child on the way.

Obviously they need some work on their mechanical systems if we have to replace an alternator and transmission on a vehicle that is only 3 1/2 years old! Ford needs to be willing, with all that tax bailout money and low sales, to help out consumers with problems like this to keep them-they lost us.

2006 Ford Freestyle
By dbldsdad

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned my Freestyle for 4 years and have accumulated almost 100,000 miles. I drive 70 miles a day round trip to work averaging 25 miles per gallon, but up to 30 on the freeway. However, I am on my fourth set of tires. Putting SUV/truck tires on will make them last longer. This crossover is just too heavy for car tires. Because of my milage the trade-in value does not equal the actual value...

Size... I am 6'5" 265lbs. CVT and it's MPG. DVD Player is a sanity check on long trips.

If Ford started with a heavier duty tire, they would not have to replace them as often. “They” being Sander’s Ford and their “tires for life program”.

Tranny problems AWD CVT 2nd time in '09
By PM

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Really liked this car until this January, at 39k miles high pitch whine coming from the engine. Dealership had the car for 1 month, we did get a rental, but they wanted to replace the transmission and Ford had them rebuild it. So they did and now we're now at 55k miles and we're having the same issue. Waiting on the dealership's word on repairs. Under warranty in January, still warrantied now. But looking at our options to offload it. I would not recommend buying a used Freestyle with the CVT!

Best Car Ever!!!
By lovemyford2

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love my Freestyle!Nothing but luck with Fords! Bought brand new after my husband convinced me to test drive it when I was determined for an Explorer! I don't understand how people can say this car has no go! I am surprised I have not gotten a ticket! It rides so smooth that you look down and realize you are going 15 over the speed limit. Roomy for 6 adults & we use it all the time for camping!Features are great!My husband is a mechanic and checked with other mechanics at the dealership to see if there were major issues. To date we have 47,000 mile with just regular maintenance.Commute 70miles to wk avg 23-25 mpg in stop-go traffic;Round town avg 19-22 mpg; Long distance hwy 24-27mpg!

Controls all in reach and smooth ride!Sits higher than a normal car but not as high as a truck making it easy to get in and out of.

Only disappointments are having to replace the tires after only 3 years and the noise when traveling on the highway with the windows open(quiet as could be with windows closed though).