Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

BAD EVERYTHING
By niecyx5

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is the worst vehicle FORD has ever made and BUYER BEWARE!! DO NOT buy the Freestyle. First, the brakes have to be replaced every 6 months, the throttle has been replaced 2X and I'm still having problems, not to mention the transmission. I will buy a Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or anything besides an American made car ever again.

Suggested Improvements

RECALL all vehicles.

Never again, Ford
By cbutschek

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

While I have to admit that this car has made it over 200K miles, it hasn't been without a lot of work, stress, and burning money. I received this as a gift from my uncle mid-2010 and the car already had over 150K miles on the clock. Within the first 18 months, the engine block cracked and had to be replaced. Shortly after that the starter died and had to be replaced. Fast forward 6 months and the power steering line springs a leak because the Ford service techs bent the elbow joint. Fixed that and then the ignition switch starts to glitch. I just replaced a wheel hub, compressor, and the drive belt a couple days ago. So far, the only part that hasn't failed or started failing is the CVT.

Favorite Features

I like the fold away third row seating. I don't need it for day-to-day activity, but there are occasions when it comes in handy.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the mechanics. A single belt is a poor design choice when you place the belt tensioner too far forward for by-passing a seized compressor.

I love this car
By whitetigerlady

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love this car - I purchased in in 2009 from a dealer with 50,000ish miles on it. There was one issue with the transmission 3 years ago that was repaired by the ford dealership for free because it was a recall issue, other than that, I have replaced the tires twice and the breaks once...just last month...My Gypsy as I call her - the GPS is very outdated LOL - now has 192000 miles and is still going pretty strong. I get my oil changed every 5K miles and use high mileage oil and that's it - I love driving a worry free vehicle. My only issue is they don't make them anymore and I have no idea what to replace her with when her time finally is up - I just hope that's not for another 200K :-)

LOVE THIS CAR THING
By LOVIN IT !!!

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The good thing that I personally love about this car is, well every thing it has enough power,room,dvd player,even climate control. I have driven over 60,000 kms and still have 4% on the front and 7% in the rear.Now, all my tires are worn more than the other but its not an alignment problem its how much I haul more weight in one corner.

Favorite Features

every thing that it has.

Suggested Improvements

The DVD screen gets really hot within about 5 mins so don't put plastics on. cargo space could improve but 86 square feet is enough. And a rope or something should be attached to the hatch.

Don't buy!
By Don't Buy!

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for 4 years and had planned to pay it off and keep it. I just found out the transmission is bad and needs to be replaced for $4500.00. Ford is taking no responsibility and is unwilling to admit that it has a problem with transmissions. I plan on ditching this car as soon as I can. I hear there are more repairs down the road. Do not buy until ford fixes its transmission problems once and for all!

Suggested Improvements

Put out a recall on these transmissions!